4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: short shifters
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:32 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

hey guys,
do any of you guys know where i can get a short shifter from besides PRW in aust? would these b&m one work from a hyundai?

http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/shop ... i=BM_45115

take a look and see what you think it looks alot like this one on switches car!!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo/gallery.html

let me know what you think. the b&m units look very well made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:51 pm 
CSM Expert

I fabricated my own :D

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:34 pm 
CSM Expert

AFAIK noone makes 'true' short shifters for these cars except RPW. Alot of you guys have just cut the shift lever so that it is shorter but that decreases the reach-height potentially making it more difficult to shift (since you may have to lean forward).

The RPW short shifter has lengthened select arms on the underside of the pivot and only a slightly shortened shift lever. This creates a far better shift feel IMO and results in a shorter throw than just shortening the stick itself. I have them fitted to both my X1 and X2 Excel's and I can highly recomend them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:30 am 
CSM Expert

true xlr8, I compensated for the reach problem by angling the upper arm back and then up and forward at a slight angle. It sits near vertical in 2nd and 4th. A lot better than than just straight cut , but not a true short shifter.

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:31 am 
CSM Junkie

The only thing im not happy with re the shifter was the quality of the shifter i got - it was all brown and rusty and the welds werent even straight!

The arms even hit in certain gears (obviouslly it wasnt engneered that well!)

And to top it off - I had to send off my unit for them to make more money at my expense!

$200+ for 3 welds that arent even straight or clean - a rusty and oily shifter and 1 cut to shorten the stick isnt worth it in my opinion.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:17 pm 
Restricted Newbie

mrcyborg were can I find a front tower strut brace like the one in your picture??

Will this fit my 1989 Mirage DOHC Turbo?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:10 pm 
CSM Expert

For AUS$200 your looking at about 3 hours work + profit. Considering the amount of time it takes to dissemble the shifter, make measurements shorten the shift level and reweld, cut the underside shift arms make 2 welds each to insert a piece of metal to lenthen both forward and sideways arms, paint and reassemble the price doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. RPW have dropped their price a fair amount since I bought my units.

Also, you can of course ask to have your own unit modified and sent back to you - it just takes longer. Plus, you aren't required to supply a core return although it will cost you extra for them to supply it.

The arms themselves shouldn't hit although I know that since the forward arm is lengthened to its absolute max it can sometimes hit the floor-pan in which case you need to add a small dent to add clearance. If in fact the arms are hitting each other you should ask for a warranty exchange - Im sure RPW would have no problem with that as IMO they have always been extremely reasonable with the dealings Ive had with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

I doubt it would take 3 hours -

My one is NOT painted - its an oily colour - looks like it was left out to rust

I can disassemble it in a bout 10 minutes!

The welds have not been cleaned up and they arms are welded on angles...

The arm doesnt hit the floor plan - they hit eachother when moving into gear!

Without a core return it costs even more! i bought mine a while ago - over a year ago now - do you think they will still honour my warranty?

And my car is a daily driver - if i dont have a shifter - im left stranded! I doubt they will give me a loan unit!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:46 am 
CSM Expert

RPW has always been reasonable with my dealings with them. They keep a record of all transactions and I would expect that they would definitely warrant your shifter. Probably it would have been better if you had got on to them straight away with the problems your having but nonetheless if its was obviously dodgy from the get-go I think they would still warrant it (if you send them a picture of it they may send you a replacement so your car is still drivable). I fitted both my shifters and I found that getting the cables set in the correct place so that the arms didn't potentially interfere with each other was difficult. Murray (one of the tech/mechanics at RPW) ended up setting them for me and the shift is now superb. The second unit I got for the X1 was oily and had some surface rust as well (since it was never painted from the factory) and the extra welds are obvious but that is just aesthetics and the whole thing is covered up by facia panels and the shift boot in any case so it didn't worry me.

Anyway give them a call and speak to David - Im sure he will be able to work something out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:59 am 
CSM Junkie

i know I should have done something about it when I got it but i didnt have the time and couldnt work without a car!

Im not too concerned with the looks - as you said its covered up - but when i took out my unit - it was in pristine condition - i dont know how a unit could end up looking like mine does!

As for the cables - i just put in adjustable ones too and they are set up correctly...

My biggest gripe is the condition of the unit - the poor wleds and the hitting arms - but im just whinging - i just dont buy stuff from tehm anymore!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

thanks for the advice guys its all very helpful. i have found that if you are a member of the evo/gsr club here in sa you can get a discount on the rpw shifters that makes them 175.

mr packs, where did you see a pic of my strut brace? anyway its a white line unit. it cost me 177 aus and avalible from anyone that suppliers white line.

i also made a rear one out of a mx5 cusco unit. the bolt holes are so close i just squeezed it in the vice a little cut the threaded parts off the main bar and got them welded into a larger diameter pipe. i bought the mx 5 one for 50 buck second hand and all up it cost me 70 including the paint and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:23 am 
CSM Expert

Quote:
i just dont buy stuff from them anymore!
That's a shame - as they are probably the best source in Oz for stuff for your car. But your right, RPW should have QC'd that shifter better before sending it out. Although, IMO, all companies make stuff-ups and I tend to judge them more on how well they fix the problems (so long as it doesn't happen all the time!).