4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:25 pm 
Restricted Newbie

i know this has been asked several times and i've looked through the archives....i'm trying to gather wether or not it is a good idea to lower my colt c50 buy cutting coils off of the stock springs....any suggestions would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:30 pm 

It look like cut the spring is the cheapest way to do it. I thought that too before. But then:
Quote:
I was just browsing the net this morning and check this out:

http://www.adventon.com/acb/showdetl.cf ... 1&CATID=20

Comments? :wink:
So I rather spend a little bit money knowing that I will drive my car safely. And it's worth it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

thanx, missed that one....to lower my car, do i just need springs?? i dont know much of anything bout this topic...thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:37 pm 

If you are lowering by cutting springs, dont cut too many coils off.You'll have a sh!tty ride,
I cut mine before to just above the tires, the ride wasnt that bad at all, and it felt a lot more controllable and aggressive.
If you do over do the cutting be sure to bend the spring back to stay on the plate so it wont slip down the shock while youre driving.
A downside to it, be prepared to buy shocks more often than ususal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:38 pm 

Quote:
thanx, missed that one....to lower my car, do i just need springs?? i dont know much of anything bout this topic...thanx
yup.. the springs on that link will lower the car 1.5in rear and front. Ideally you should also get new shocks. Yellow Koni or at least KYB. But just like most of us who a little bit tight with budget, you could go ahead buy the springs first and use it with your stock shocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:43 pm 
Restricted Newbie

also, one of my friends mention the possibility of using clamps on the springs to lower the car...i had never heard of this before...is this another option??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:45 pm 

ive heard of that before, i ve also heard the car rides like crap, bouncing, cuz the springs dont have any freedom to move up and down properly. thats what i heard, havent tried that one though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:30 pm 
Restricted Newbie

If you cut be carefull not to get them too hot. That changes the tempering of the metal that the springs are made of and they will become brittle and could shatter like glass! I've seen it happen before. If you cen get the springs off of the car, put them in a bucket of sand with just what you're cutting off sticking out. The sand will absorb the heat. DO NOT USE A TORCH! a sawzall with a GOOD metal blade is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:55 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Quote:
i know this has been asked several times and i've looked through the archives....i'm trying to gather wether or not it is a good idea to lower my colt c50 buy cutting coils off of the stock springs....any suggestions would be great
Plain and simple, NO. I don't care what anyone else says. The stock spring rate is designed to work with a certain length. Cut the length by removing coils and you have less travel with the same rate. It's called Ghetto Rice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:51 pm 
Quote:

Plain and simple, NO. I don't care what anyone else says. The stock spring rate is designed to work with a certain length. Cut the length by removing coils and you have less travel with the same rate. It's called Ghetto Rice.
That's not true, if you cut the spring, then the spring rate goes up. However, I still would not cut the springs, because you can't make it sit level in the spring hat. Which can cause it to pop out on severe bumps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:28 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

That's not true, if you cut the spring, then the spring rate goes up. However, I still would not cut the springs, because you can't make it sit level in the spring hat. Which can cause it to pop out on severe bumps.
Well the moral of the story is... Save yourself some money for couple of months and get new spring that is made to lower your car. Smart equal Safety? :wink:

Post subject: springs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:01 pm 
Restricted Newbie

In my experience, I've found cutting the springs to not be that great of an idea. you run the possibility of not cutting evenly, or the spring popping out... or a lot of shitty other possibilities. Clamping-also not good... you'll have a shitty ride. I only paid $100 (with shipping) for my lowering springs. I got Dropzone 2" lowering springs for a 1st gen eclipse-found them new on eBay...
They just fit right over my stock shocks/struts-(thanx Pat)-and now I'm waiting to get my KYB struts... also-a good site for shocks and most anything else... www.mmrusa.com
I"m getting KYB GR2s for $107 a pair.....
but yeah... this is definitely something I suggest dishing out a lil bit of cash for.