4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:28 pm 

Hey everyone, just picked up a mint condition 89 with 115,000 miles on it and yes it needs a clutch. I bought a Center Force and was woundering how hard the install was, time wise, and also if the is a way to adjust the clutch (other than on the pedle under the dash) thanks for viewing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:00 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

If you've never done it before, it's far from easy and will take you at least a couple of days in my opinion. Maybe a bit faster if you have air tools. Most shops can cut you a deal and install one for $250 or so. I say its worth not having the hassle of doing it yourself. Plus you get the car back the same day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

agreed, it took me and my buddy an entire day with proper tools to do it on my driveway. But I know of another guy that swapped my honda clutch in about an hour. If you haven't done it before and don't have the proper tools / some helping hands except some serious downtime and trouble.

Also.. don't clutches have to be balanced properly when you put them on ? I remeber my buddy talking about getting the kit for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:58 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I've never balanced a clutch in my life. Flywheels, of course, but not a clutch. On a Colt, Clinton and I could swap a clutch in under an hour. Colts are alot easier than the DSM's, less stuff in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:29 am 

lol, sorry guys mabye i should have been more clear, My good friends shop puts out 6 second cars so i will be using there lift, tools, an extra set of hands etc... I had a 12 second talon a few years back that i worked on quite offten, never did a clutch, but a bunch of other crap. I did a clutch on an integra for a friend a while back and that was really straight foward and easy. Ill let you all know what kind of time i make after wed when we install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:16 am 

If you have a fair amount of mechanical experience I say do it yourself. Even if you don't have access to a lift and air tools like you do. Why? Because nobody will do as good a job on your car as you will. Take it to a shop and they pound out the job as fast as they can not caring if they break off harness connectors, let tranny fluid run down under the tranny and crossmember and not clean it up, not put back some bolts, etc etc. You get the idea.

Member #1

Post subject: where does this go?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:01 pm 
Restricted Newbie

As long as you can put somethign back together the way it came apart, it shouldn't take long especially on a lift, there's no balancing the clutch and most clutch kits come with the pilot tool. Don't trust a shop with your car :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:15 am 

Got the clutch in last week, sorry for the delay. Fairly easy install and man does the clutch rip. About ten thosand times nicer feeling then an act 2600 with all the grabbing power. After i put it in i finally got to see what my stock 89 had in it. I ran my friend with a 2002 nissan spec-v and suprisingly i was in front of him untill he shifted into forth. :D

97 Jeep Wrangler