4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:29 am 
CSM Junkie

what are the things do I need to look at when upgrading to a high speed dual fan setup that has 30 amp per motor. will the stock wiring handle the high amp? do I need to replace the fan fuse and relay??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yes, and Yes.

Get a relay kit supplied by a reputable fan builder, like SPAL. That will take whatever trigger signal was used by the OEM fans, and this will allow power through the relay and not you factory fan wiring.

Speed of the fan blades doesn't matter as much as verifiable CFM. genuine documented CFM. Buy SPAL if you can fit it in there, period.

I went Ebay Skip White import slim high CFM 14 and 10/12 inch fans, and although they are decent, if you do hit stop and go in very high humidity and ambient temp is also very high, you will heat soak and or start drawing on your battery after your alternator internals crap out.
This was my only issue noted so far. Not necessarily just my alternator at fault as you will get high cycle times and higher repetition as humidity and temp go up and ground speed stays or goes lower.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:48 am 
CSM Junkie

will those relay supplied by the fan maker, fit our stock fan /aux fan relays? or it will be needed to be hardwired and bypass the stock fan and aux fan relays.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You would have to make it work or tap the lead at the factory fan relay connection point to supply a one wire trigger to an exterior to the under hood fuse block and fused power can be tapped from the battery close by for the relays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

@tim have you tried using evo fans will they have the same amp that our cars have

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:25 am 
The Silent Administrator

I have only tried the stock rad fan and the slim fans noted previously.

With the thicker full width radiator in place, things get really tight, as well as tight with the intercooler tubing passing near the upper rad hose on my setup.