4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm 

My apologies if this is answer is somewhere on the board, but I couldn't find it:

Does the evaporator have to be removed to access the brake pedal adjustment?

The FSM seems to be written for the JDM (right hand drive) configuration.

Thanks.

-1990 Plymouth Colt Vista Wagon AWD
-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 pm 
The Silent Administrator

If you mean adjusting the long bolt that is between the pedal assembly (attached with a clevis pin/cotter) and the brake booster bar at the firewall, then it is adjusted inside the car at the booster.

Page 9 of 56: Click

All the free play checks should be done to spec for distance and free play before contact, as if it is adjusted too tight, it can and will cause engagement in the system as it heats up.

Be sure to pull back on the pedal arm and check for free play in the pivot and where the clevis pin contacts the cross arm bar attachment point.

I ordered replacement clevis parts new from Japan a few years ago, so they must be a common enough part to likely be available.

With 200,000km's it was negligible but all extra play at all points will add up.

You will have to contort to get in there, but it is all accessible after removing, what should be the air flow diverter plastic that may or may not be in place just below the glove box.

Let me know if that helps.

Partsouq.com diagram shows it best: Click me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Yes, the rod with the jam nut between the pedal and clevis is exactly what I mean and want to adjust. And that’s the same service manual that I have a hard copy of from Michael DeSalvo when I bought the car from him. I’m adjusting so I can heel toe properly after all new brakes, bleeding and pedal pad install. I agree with removing slop/play at every opportunity. So are you saying definitively I must remove the evaporator to access the jam nut and rod? It wasn’t clear to me from your response.

Thanks.

-1990 Plymouth Colt Vista Wagon AWD
-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:40 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The adjuster is accessible but may require removing the HVAC diverter plastic just under the glove box. It has a couple of push pins below the glove box cover and maybe some of those push pin christmas tree clips holding it in.

I suspect many cars are missing that plastic trim piece that directs air at your legs and feet from the main HVAC tube.

You do not have to remove any plastic on the evap core, so that is the good news.