rusted brake line- what replacement size??
Page 1 of 1

Author:  joemoto [ Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 pm ]
Post subject:  rusted brake line- what replacement size??

I moved the Colt from the side of the garage into the garage only to discover half of the brake fluid had leaked out of a rusted line under the car. The leak is about 18" in front of the rear tire. My question as the title states is, does anyone know the size of line that I need? I'm assuming that ill need to replace it from proportioning valve assembly to the rear caliper.

Author:  Flying Eagle [ Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rusted brake line- what replacement size??

There are multiple sections split with unions inline, for each rear brake line, that make up the rear system. You may not need that long a section, but you will need a proper line flaring kit and a double flare on the end of the lines being installed. 3/16 car sized line should be all that any car uses, as trucks are the only systems that I have worked on that required larger lines. This will be confirmed at the store when you go to buy a roll of line to work with, sold by the foot. Yes, they have prefab lines, but unless you are within one to two inches of overall length needed to repair said line and you can work with the unions still, I think a new custom line, front to back is best.

Diagram here

M10 x 1.0 thread on the flare nut fittings IIRC. Take the old ones off and match at the store.

Author:  joemoto [ Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rusted brake line- what replacement size??

Thanks for the information. I am going to order 25 feet of Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing Kit 3/16; I'll likely end up doing both rear lines.

What style brake line flares are used?

I have a KD Tools Double Flaring Tool that I was hoping to use unless I need to use an Inverted or a Bubble flare.


Author:  joemoto [ Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rusted brake line- what replacement size??

Never mind Google to the rescue, I did not know that double flare and inverted were the same. :-?

There are two basic types of flares used on OEM automotive brake systems throughout the world.

The SAE/double (inverted/45degree) flare that we use, and the DIN/ISO bubble flare.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC-05:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited