4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:44 pm 

I'm doing a Restomod to my 91" Lancer GTI C62A and I'm putting in either a 4G63 N/A or 4G67 N/A, effectively converting it into a C68A or C69A Lancer. ( Could use help deciding here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40683&start=15 )

I'd like to know my options for 2 piston calipers, larger rotors for the front and, drum to disc conversions for the rear. What donor vehicle can I get those from?

I don't want to modify any suspension mounts and I don't think Diameter would be a problem since I'll be putting on 17's with wider tires than stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Galant/Diamante caliper upgrade, machine hubs to fit rotor over top, ~6mm spacer to get caliper back inline, machine rotor hub bore to fit if needed, GalantVR4 or DSM twin piston pads (sport compounds then available), new flex hoses to suit your caliper choice - some are banjo bolt, some are threaded fitting.
Outlander rotors are heavy, but provide more swept area per wheel revolution. High end light weight brakes save weight, but put a hole in your wallet. Three choices.
As for the rear, you would want the sedan/turbo hatch rear brakes for a FWD model only, AWD/4WD has a solid rear axle = different I suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 am 

I was told the Galant GTI Rear Discs would bolt right on with minor modifications?

Would it be easier just to got with Evolution 1, 2, or 3 brakes?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am 
The Silent Administrator

They may be the same parts in some respect. Something about the newer 4G model tells me they used 4x100mm bolt spacing so you would be re-drilling them, in fact I'm 100% sure.

If they used dual piston calipers that are the same spacing as the Galant VR4/Diamante/Expo, then they may bolt up and you could machine the hubs to allow them to fit in directly. If you use EVO style knuckles, I can't say what will happen to your suspension angles, but it will mean you will have to match the rear hubs or use dual pattern wheels with 4x100 and 4x114.3 bolt holes. Some EVO suspension is completely incompatible at the front because the control arms changed over, and they have much more positive caster.

6th gen Galant USDM and 1990-1994 DSM/Eclipse USDM rear calipers are the same as our turbo C63a rear calipers, which can be used on any 3rd generation CSM if the proper hubs/bracket adapters are used.
Not sure of rotor/hat fitment on the rear rotors from the Galant, but it wouldn't surprise me if they fit right up. Solid rear axle application platforms exist on all three platforms (Galant/DSM/CSM).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:39 pm 

Quote:
They may be the same parts in some respect. Something about the newer 4G model tells me they used 4x100mm bolt spacing so you would be re-drilling them, in fact I'm 100% sure.

If they used dual piston calipers that are the same spacing as the Galant VR4/Diamante/Expo, then they may bolt up and you could machine the hubs to allow them to fit in directly. If you use EVO style knuckles, I can't say what will happen to your suspension angles, but it will mean you will have to match the rear hubs or use dual pattern wheels with 4x100 and 4x114.3 bolt holes. Some EVO suspension is completely incompatible at the front because the control arms changed over, and they have much more positive caster.

6th gen Galant USDM and 1990-1994 DSM/Eclipse USDM rear calipers are the same as our turbo C63a rear calipers, which can be used on any 3rd generation CSM if the proper hubs/bracket adapters are used.
Not sure of rotor/hat fitment on the rear rotors from the Galant, but it wouldn't surprise me if they fit right up. Solid rear axle application platforms exist on all three platforms (Galant/DSM/CSM).
A quick search and they all say the Lancer Evolution 1, 2, and 3 use 4x114.3 so I'm good there!

Lancer Evolution 1, 2, and 3 used two piston calipers on the fronts. The guy selling the brakes has them to the knuckles and Hydrovac ( Vacuum Booster and Master Cylinder )

Would it be best to just get the fronts and use 6G Galant rears or get the entire set? How would I also verify the parts I'm looking at are actual Lancer Evolution parts? He claims it's from a Evolution 2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

All 1993+ Colts/Summit/Mirages switched over to 4x100 bolt patterns for FWD, and those were the platform the EVO1-3 were built with, albeit AWD in the rear section of the car.
Every listing I found for EVO2 showed two bolt patterns, 4x114.3 and 5x114.3, so if the picture matches the goods, then you are good to roll from that side of things.
http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubis ... evolution/
Quote:
A quick search and they all say the Lancer Evolution 1, 2, and 3 use 4x114.3 so I'm good there!
If the Evo2 used similar or identical geometry to the 1993+ Mirage/Colt in base 2WD trim, then you may have a winner for a complete front corner brake package.
Look up the orientation for brake line fitment for RWD models at PartSouq.com and confirm that the brake lines coming out of the master cylinder are in the same orientation as your factory setup and you may not have to bend much if anything to compensate. New lines are available as I found out for the C50 front brakes from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder.
The reason I ask you to compare the geometry of the front knuckles, is to confirm the fitment (top or bottom) of the outer tie rod, and furthermore the changes to your geometry as you steer down the road.
Evo knuckles may be identical to non-EVO knuckles and they may have used different control arms to allow for more positive caster (read more stability at high speed, possibly more steering input required from an energy value as you turn the front wheels at lower speeds, and better self centering).
If say the outer tie rod position now moves further out from the steering rack, then you end up with fewer threads on the inner tie rod to hold the outer tie rod. Maybe a change to new inners of a different length, maybe not. I will try and find the guy that was posting about using EVO brakes on the front and possibly rear of his C50-C60 Mirage. He was Australian if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Join this group on FB: GSR CYBORG AUSTRALIA

There is a post by Johno Gaillard, showing he used all EVO 4 front brake parts, but no mention of knuckles. Couldn't hurt to purchase the knuckles complete and use the brakes without using the knuckles.

If you get the rotor installed to the outside of the front hubs (stock Mirage/Colt hubs), you may need a spacer made up like all other upgrades require to respace the caliper from the knuckle to get it centered again. Having the master cylinder and brake booster is an added bonus. You could tell us how the master and brake booster work, with regards to adjustment and if the booster fits your engine bay! Not many have tried to fit the larger booster bodies to the Colt/Mirage because any added thickness moves the brake lines and master further away from the firewall. Then custom brake lines need to be bent up for sure. Most look to a skinny alternative because they have a deeper intake manifold and the TB elbow gets in the way as it turns and tries to clear the brake master cylinder reservoir. A remote master cylinder reservoir with lines that bring the fluid down to the actual body, are a simple enough work around.
Find out the brake master cylinder for the exact HP model you have listed with the EVO2 brakes (likely the 260Hp not the 270HP model with 5 bolt wheels but they could and likely do share the same master diameter barring and ABS fitment option) and compare it to the brake master cylinder I have listed in my build. That master bolts right up to the stock turbo booster, with stock brake lines; it is a 3000GT/Stealth model with a 1-1/16" diameter. A wider and or thicker booster may make that model of master less attractive or not, but it has the correct line orientation!