4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: camber bolts?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 pm 

My 1991 Colt 63t has Expo knuckles with KYB GR-2 struts. The upper strut hole has been slotted and it has camber bolts installed. Really rusty stuff, I discovered when I replaced the passenger side axle.

Is there any reason to have camber bolts on this setup? I'm assuming the camber is adjusted by moving the bolt in the slot and not with the eccentric camber bolt. I was going to replace the upper bolts before I have it aligned but don't want to spend the $20 or so each for the camber bolts rather than simply replacing them with new bolts, etc. Researching on line and searching here, it appears that camber is not adjustable on the stock setup, so camber bolts wouldn't normally be used.

The instructions for the camber bolt I checked at napa specifically says not to use the camber bolts in elongated holes.
Thanks, all.

JimS

Post subject: Re: camber bolts?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The Expo knuckles will add serious positive camber like using GVR4 knuckles.

If the knuckles can only be brought closer to zero with slotting in the upper strut tower, then camber adjustment type bolts will be the only way to get to negative camber.

Without knowing where people's camber is sitting with only stock bolts and Expo knuckles on a CSM C50/60 chassis, then you can add which ever total camber change the bolts are advertised to affect. If the bolts allow 1.5 degrees of change either way from base (where Expo knuckles with stock struts sit) this allows for some benchmarking once you know how many degrees of change the Expo knuckles introduce.

The instructions say to shy away from strut clevis clamps with elongated holes (one of the two), because engineering would suggest that material removed from the clamping areas could allow room for movement and less material contact area. Loose bolt, weakening material, new found slop .... Possibly site for retentive failure. Butt pucker comes to mind. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Anywho, if you can get a gauge that can tell you degrees of camber, then you can comment one what Expo knuckles do straight up, slots used, and then what camber bolts do for change. Not always feasible or practical, but no reason not to use camber bolts if the struts clevis clamp holes are unmodified. Just be sure to install the bolts into the correct upper or lower position per the instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 pm 

IIRC Mine was close to +3 degrees camber with the expo knuckles. Also keep in mind what control arms you are using. As the elantra control arms bring the wheels outward so would the make more positive camber or negative camber(too late to think). I used one camber bolt per side. Even though not enough i dont trust both being bolts one both sides. Camber plates will come later

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 am 

Thanks for the info. Stock control arms. The strut's upper holes have been slotted to an inch+ long so I was thinking that camber bolts might be overkill, but since the previous owner used them in the upper holes in addition to the slotting, I guess I'll go that route.

With my mechanical skills, I start with the assumption that everyone knows more than me. :-? Haven't been wrong yet.

JimS