4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:35 am 

Heres a few datalogs I took of the knock and some pulls/cruising scroll down to the bottom of my dsmtuners post and they are hosted there

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/proble ... ck.498662/

wondering if someone can take a look at these. Also including a copy of my basic and direct access settings

Thinking its partially phantom knock... but not so sure. Picks up the knock counts even when in neutral free-reving. If I rev it slow, no knock, but if I rev it quickly (quick stab of throttle) it gets a significant spike in knock counts. The other knock I get at partial throttle, sometimes at steady state cruise, and light acceleration. Especially if I downshift into 3rd gear while crusing on the highway and roll into it.

Running stock 2g timing tables, tried the 1g ones, tried the evo timing maps, still knocks at partial. Once it boosts and I go WOT it doesn't get much knock counts at all. mostly at partial throttle pulls... at WOT car runs around 10.6 -10.8 A/F ratio (on the wideband). I can have ecm link ignore knock below 3500rpm,and set it to ignore knock at below say 40% throttle... but I still worry that its real detonation or knock

1991 talon, stock bottom end, HTA71 turbo, FP race exh mani, FMIC, MBC, 1000cc PTE, BC 272 cams w/ adj gears BC springs/retainers, 2G MAF, ECM link v 3, EGR block off, full emission's delete, 94 octane pump, AEM meth kit v2 (disconnected for now)

Car had knock problems before all the mods. (even when stock) Tried swapping ECU's, knock sensors, CAS, Coil packs, PT, to no avail.

4-5 degrees base timing ,no boost leaks (holds 25+ psi for quite a bit)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/proble ... ck.498662/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 am 
Some call me a god

What kind of motor mounts are you using? Does your motor make any noise? Without looking at the logs, it sounds like it could be only a couple things. Your knock sensor picking up vibrations from the car ( if you're running solid mounts or the like), your motor is truly knocking and making noise internally or maybe just phantom knock. Have you trying putting a washer between the knock sensor and block and see what happens?

I'll take a look at the logs later but if the tune is halfway decent, you really shouldn't be seeing knock like your saying it does.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:09 pm 

Motor mounts are stock. Has a 3" megan exhaust, but disconnected that, and it still knocks. Don't hear any audible noise to my ear when the knock counts happen. have already put in 3G lifters.

Car has done this knock thing even when it was 100% stock (owner complained about it pulling timing at partial throttle and being all herky jerky) which must have been knock, or phantom knock.

Also should add that about 6 months ago #4 piston broke the ring lands partially off the piston. Took engine apart, replaced with used piston/rod. Re-ringed all 4 pistons, honed the cylinder walls, replaced rod/main bearings, checked the balance shaft bearings (looked OK) months after that, #1 piston broke its ring lands almost identical to before. Took engine apart, and again put another good used piston/rod in, another quick re-hone and all new rings again. Just finished the break in... put about 250 km's on it since then. Don't want to take this damn thing apart again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

How about one bad injector?

Keane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:18 pm 
Some call me a god

If you've already gone in that engine twice, I would put my money on it being an issue with that motor. Either truly build it or find a good bottom end to put in.

What really makes me believe it is a mechanical issue is the fact you have knock at part throttle and free revving.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:53 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm hawing the similar problem.
I had the same amount of knock on light acceleration, on low rpms (8+ knock), when the boost hits, rarely on high rpm.

In ECMLink I set knock sensor control to activate above 50% TPS and above 3200 rpm.
I still get knock when the boost hits around 3500rpm cca..
Its been going on for almost year and a half and it still drives normally, boost at 25psi atm.
I learned to back off from throttle when my CEL comes on (i know its "knock"), knock goes away, full throttle back on.

Here is my thread on ecmlink http://www.ecmtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83827

I changed injectors (from FIC 850 low z to FIC 1100 high z), new fuel pump and fuel filter, spark plugs (8 and 7), i bought brand new knock sensor... Nothing helped. I do have prothane motor mounts so it does transfer vibrations from the engine to other parts of the car.
Engine was completely rebuild everything new. Tried switching timing tables, fuel tables, back and forth (I have SD), it would be the same.. some times it appears some times it doesn't. Sometimes it was reading knock at 0 timing.

It is really frustrating and I don't enjoy it as much as I would because I'm always looking for that damn CEL light.
Still gathering money to pay to get it tuned at local tuning shop so then can get out of that 68HTA as much as they can.
Wondering if that knock is real and will it all blow up, but I don't know what to do anymore, so I'm just gonna go with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am 
Some call me a god

The same thing happened to my old GSX. It would knock at part throttle and light acceleration. However during WOT and full boost I never had an issue. Sometimes it would knock low in the RPM range during a pull, I would have to let off just for a second to reset the timing-pull then go back into WOT with no issue. It was annoying at times but never bothered me enough to go searching for a solution.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 am 
The Silent Administrator

I haven't seen any info concerning what HLA's are installed, and how old they are/reused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Also should add that about 6 months ago #4 piston broke the ring lands partially off the piston. Took engine apart, replaced with used piston/rod. Re-ringed all 4 pistons, honed the cylinder walls, replaced rod/main bearings, checked the balance shaft bearings (looked OK) months after that, #1 piston broke its ring lands almost identical to before. Took engine apart, and again put another good used piston/rod in, another quick re-hone and all new rings again. Just finished the break in... put about 250 km's on it since then
Save your time/money and buy another good condition short block, and take your time for tune it ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

I haven't been able to check your DA tables because my only access right now is a celly, but have you changed your throttle tip in table?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 pm 

one of my posts transferred over from tuners
Quote:
I have taken away 10 degrees of timing, knocks just the same at partial throttle, (using the global timing sliders) Added timing, knocks just the same, went from the aggressive 1g timing maps, to the evo timing map... same thing... went to the 2G timing map now. Also I don't hear any audible knocks or pining. Just the knock sensor picking it up.

Base timing is 4-5 degrees. Only this is the cams are just zero'ed out for now... didn't bother degree'ing them as they will be tuned by HP on a dyno eventually. But I had this same knock at partial throttle before even installing the cams. Also has new 3G lifters in it, have tried disconnecting the exhaust, motor mounts are still stock, no solid/poly ones yet

Almost tempted to put knock ignore settings on anything below 50% throttle and 3200 RPM and try and just ignore it.
Quote:
Also should add that about 6 months ago #4 piston broke the ring lands partially off the piston. Took engine apart, replaced with used piston/rod. Re-ringed all 4 pistons, honed the cylinder walls, replaced rod/main bearings, checked the balance shaft bearings (looked OK, but never did a inframe rebuild, never removed trans/front cover/oil pump) months after that, #1 piston broke its ring lands almost identical to before. Took engine apart, and again put anot, all bearings that came out and looked in good shape besides slight normal wear for 150,000km motor. Put in another good used piston/rod in, another quick re-hone and all new rings again. Just finished the break in... put about 250 km's on it since then. Don't want to take this damn thing apart again!

I just had the short block apart! changed all the bearings (rods and mains), balance shafts all looked and spun perfect. No issues I could see at all with the bottom end. bore is still within spec, and ring gaps are on the outside of the spec, but still in spec nother the less. After the first piston (#4) had the ring lands crack.. I changed the injectors (were FIC 850's) to 1000cc PTE's because the flow tested slightly out of range. Made no difference, still knocked the exact same. then the second ring lands cracked (#4) and now im just struggling to find the cause, but seems in vein. Very very frustrating. Tonight I am going to run a separate signal wire and shielded ground from the knock sensor to ECU and see if that helps. To note also, its a 91 talon, but it has a 1990 eprom running it with the wires switched. The original ecu was a ecm link converted non eprom... massive amount of knock... swapped in a different ECU, and the knock counts got MUCH better, and way less frequent... but still had knock fits sometimes as well. but no where near as bad with the other ecu. Really weird.

Also the lifters, has topline 3g revised ones installed about 2 years ago... thing still picked up knock then, eventho the lifters never made noise. When I rebuild/redid the engine a couple months ago, I also installed another new set of 3G revised lifters to be sure.... didn't make any difference. also installed upgraded springs/retainers and SS engbldr valves at the same time.

I went to the direct access tables, and did adjust all the sliders for TPS tip in fuel volume way up... re-tested, made no difference in the knock as well. Put the tables back down to stock settings again afterwards.

Heres a pic of the first pison, and the cracked ringlands.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 am 

Well I have given up on finding the culprit, and ended up figuring its just harmonics in the engine/trans that is setting the knock sensor off, and theres nothing I can do about it (besides going to a full J&S knock system. Engine is running good and strong, pulls damn hard at the current boost settings and at WOT there is no significant knock counts. Tune seems good, idles good, starts good, keeps fuel trims in range, I have set the knock options to ignore below 3500 RPM and below 50% throttle input and have yet to have the CEL or knock gauge have any activity. only small blips of knock over 5500 rpm once the boost creep kicks in and boost goes to around 22-23 psi. Ill be turning the meth kit (blue washer fluid mixture (50/50)) back on tomorrow, and that should take care of the minor (less then a degree of retard) im getting at higher boost/rpm. I ran my own signal wire and ground wire to the knock sensor, but still got the exact same amount of knock as using the stock wiring, so that didn't get me anywhere also. Reconnected back as per stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:29 pm 
Some call me a god

Finally got a chance to look at your tune. Only a couple things I saw, why do you have disable maf smoothing w/sd checked and disable maf comp w/ sd if you are running a 2g maf? Your maf comp adjustments are all wacky as well, take the suggestions but smooth it out a little too. On your max a/f table you have a couple areas that dont makes sense, the 0.3 row from 3500-500 are set richer than the line below it. Also you have an area that goes leaner to richer to leaner again, that makes no sense, keep it smooth.

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 pm 
Some call me a god

Why arent you logging the wideband?