All times are UTC-05:00

Retro rocket or resto mod?
Save it! 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Beat on it mercilessly! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Free mods and that's it. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:03 am 
CSM O.G.

Hey guys, I picked up a very very clean 90 AWD and now I guess I'm back into Mitsubishi for the foreseeable future. The question is this:

would you mod a beautiful (besides some cleatcoat) one-owner red/black 90 Talon TSI AWD with meticulous maintenance history or would you leave it be?
it has a newer engine, reman ecu, even the sunroof cover and wind deflector. The only downside is the high mileage. NOT ONE SPEC OF RUST ANYWHERE.

So, mod or maintain?

I got it with a bad head gasket and proceeded to fix it from there

Machined and checked head, ported oil feed and added extra oil return in cam tower, Revised lifters, New oem balance shaft belt, gates timing belt, oem tensioner, water pump, and better condition timing cover. Somehow the fuel rail and injectors walked off so I dug in my way way old stash and came up with some 2G black tops and fuel rail. That's it. I pulled the BCS restrictor and I'm sourcing a 2g manifold as well as new turbo hardware because these are either weak or broken.

So what would you do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:28 am 
CSM Junkie

I started in the hobby when 90% of the owners where having fun and modding their car with 14b/16g. the other 10% where striving for big power and not having much fun doing it. today a 35r is a small turbo. better than 90% of owners have big hp goals and rarely if at all actually use their car. I thinks its stupid. My cars have ALWAYS been modded to be fast but #1 priority is to keep a running car for 50 weeks out of the year. otherwise they just arent much fun.

bottom line is these cars are still a blast to own and drive with a nice 16g/20g setup. very fast yet very reliable. which is the definition of worth owning for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:58 am 
CSM Junkie

Throw on a fresh 16g or have a 16g converted into a 20g, upgrade the fuel, clutch and management and enjoy it that way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
2nd Banana

I would do minor upgrades and just enjoy the car and maintain it. These cars are getting more and more rare to find in unmolested condition, and I think there will be a point in the near future where they become desirable and somewhat valuable, because tons of people had them back in the day and loved them. Any mod you do, make sure it's easily reversible. You should be able to get ~300hp without altering anything too much, and that's all the power you need to have fun on the street. Lastly, post some pics of it!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:39 pm 
CSM O.G.

I've got ten pics on imgur but this board is difficult to navigate on phone while trying to copy and paste.

Also at work so can't do much else right now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:38 pm 
CSM O.G.

I really don't have the patience to chop these up into code lol
http://m.imgur.com/4mIqHNO,dhgByXd,nFiH ... OJ,3xqVfKO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 am 

What i did to mine that was clean was mod little stuff. hack up nothing. 2g maf 560 evo injectors. put a better radio. Just make sure whatever you take off of it you place it un a plastic bin. In case ypu ever want to bring the car back to stock.Thats it everything was great on the car i sold it a month ago to get a colt and pay bills.