4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Blown Viscous Coupler?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:22 am 
2nd Banana

So my Eclipse has been doing some weird stuff lately. I was out doing some WOT 3rd gear pulls for "tuning" purposes the other day, and out of nowhere the car started torque-steering like crazy. It was all over the road. Never felt that before. The car has a Quaife LSD in the front, and the AWD cars have ELHS, so there's no reason it should be torque-steering at all. I attributed it to a bad alignment and an uneven road surface. The car felt normal doing a pull in 1st and 2nd.

FFWD a couple of days, I had someone else driving the car for a YouTube show (will post more about that later), and he was saying that the car was spinning the tires like crazy once the power came on, even in 3rd gear. I thought that was pretty strange, so I drove the car, and sure enough, the front tires spun like crazy as soon as the turbo spooled up. The car drove totally normal otherwise, so we kept doing the shoot like normal. Later on that night, when I was driving the car home, I noticed at slower speeds that the steering wheel was moving back and forth pretty bad. As soon as I'd speed up above like 40mph, it would smooth out. Got the car home, jacked it up, and found the passenger side axle was all messed up...the boot was all twisted, so I figured that was my problem all along. Took it apart today, and found this:

I replaced both axles, just to be on the safe side. Took the car out and did a WOT pull, and sure enough, same thing...the front tires spin like crazy when it comes on boost. My best theory at this point is that the viscous coupler is just dead. Maybe because I drove it around with a broken front axle for so long? The car feels exactly the same as it did with the busted axle though. I've never had a VC just blow out before. Has it happened to anyone else? I'm gonna throw a different VC in there anyway, just wanted to get some other opinions on it.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus