4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: can anyone help?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:11 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

hi guys,
i have had the fuel filter in the oil breather line for quite sometime now about 2 months. i did it along with many other things. ever since then my car has not felt as good. the other day i was giving it some shit and stopped at some lights only to find that i had smoke pissing out of my engine bay!! i stopped around the corner and found that the dip stick had been pushed up and oil had sprayed my whole engine bay and was smoking off the exhuast manifold! any way after cleaning it up i tryed a few different things and as soon as i replaced the oil filter with a straight peice of hose the car ran so much better. i even cut open th eiflter and it was so clean inside it could not have been blocked so whats going on? has any one else had this problem? some how it was pressurising my crank case.

Post subject: Re: can anyone help?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:09 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
hi guys,
i have had the fuel filter in the oil breather line for quite sometime now about 2 months. i did it along with many other things. ever since then my car has not felt as good. the other day i was giving it some $%# and stopped at some lights only to find that i had smoke pissing out of my engine bay!! i stopped around the corner and found that the dip stick had been pushed up and oil had sprayed my whole engine bay and was smoking off the exhuast manifold! any way after cleaning it up i tryed a few different things and as soon as i replaced the oil filter with a straight peice of hose the car ran so much better. i even cut open th eiflter and it was so clean inside it could not have been blocked so whats going on? has any one else had this problem? some how it was pressurising my crank case.
My guess is that even the small restriction that the filter would place in the line is just far too much for a system that was never designed to have a restriction in the first place. Take it out IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:01 am 
CSM Junkie

Hmmm ive had mine in place for a few months now too - and it seems ok - alot of gunk is collected in the filter - but it is clearly working...

I just tried blowing through one of them ( i bought three because they were on sale for $2 each) and the air comes through like normal! it takes harly any effort at all - and its the same but slightly restricted when i blow against the flow - Im pretty sure the crankcase pressure would be able to push through the filter!

If your filter is clean - check the pcv valve and the breather fitting for any blocks / and to make sure it is working properly.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:15 pm 
CSM Expert

yep definitely sounds like that filter is blocked. Personally I wouldn't use a fuel filter for an air-oil separator as if you are getting reasonable amounts of blow-by it will block up quite quickly. Also, while it is blocked you will be getting positive crank-case pressure which means that the pumping losses experienced by the motor will be significantly higher. Slight vacuum in the crank case is ideal but probably unrealistic for a turbo engine but you at least want to be able to vent blowby quickly. A specific oil catch-can is best IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:37 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

i cut the filter open and there was nothing in it!! well on oil anyway. its got me but the car is runnig much better without now anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:48 pm 
CSM Expert

id guess the PCV valve is blocked. Remove it and shake it to see if the ball inside moves freely. They frequently clog on higher mileage engines.

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t