4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I purchased a new set of direct fitment KYB GR-2s (now called Excel-G) for my 90 Colt DL. It is swapped with the 4g63 and it looks to have originally had 1g AWD stock shocks and cut springs up front. I purchased my shocks and associated hardware from shockwarehouse.com and here are the specific shocks I purchased for the front:

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/prod ... Mitsubishi

So last weekend I pull out the old shocks and disassemble to get the spring off. It is then that I notice the diameter of the lower coil spring seat on the old and new strut are different diameters. The KYB GR-2s that I ordered have a smaller spring seat diameter and look to need a smaller diameter coil spring. Did the C50 cars use a smaller diameter coil spring than the 1g DSMs? I didn't see that in some of the searching I did, or perhaps I overlooked it scanning through all the convolutions of possible suspension setups.

I wanted to get confirmation on this before procuring a set of stock C50 springs. Any difference in spring rates between the N/A and turbo cars?

While I'm bringing this up, are the 1g AWD and FWD DSM springs the same diameter? I've only ever owned 1g AWDs so I have no reference in regards to the 1g FWDs.

Thanks for the help in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I ran H&R FWD DSM drop springs on stock C50 front shocks and KYB GR-2's, and other than the springs being somewhat loose at full extension, the overall diameter of the coil assembly was a perfect fit. AWD and FWD springs from the DSM, GVR4's/Galants, and all 89-92 USDM CSM's should be the same in terms of outside package diameter and fit/coil base/top style of the windings. Where you run into issues is normally with shock body and lower spring perch height issues when you mix and match.

Excel's I have been seeing and installing, but did not know they were a replacement for GR2's. Where did you hear they were a replacement?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm 

that is the correct strut.. same part number as the ones I bought last summer.. they might have sent you the wrong ones? see if there are any part numbers on the strut itself..

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm 

I've included some pics here for reference in trying to figure out what my issue is. Perhaps they sold me incorrect struts because there is no way a DSM AWD spring is going to sit on this GR-2 lower spring seat.

Notice the difference in the shock tube diameter.

The coil will not sit flush on the lower spring seat; in fact, it hangs over the edge of the seat.

Notice the difference in spring seat diameter.

Unless I've incorrectly identified the old struts as 1g DSM, but they definitely look like it. The spring has been cut, which also leads me to believe that the old strut is indeed 1g DSM. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 pm 

definitely wrong strut..where spring sits should be same size as that dsm one.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Ha, I read the OP's link and got my info on the recoloring and rebadging of the GR-2's to Excel G's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 am 
Some call me a god

Those are the wrong struts, I got a set one time on closeout from rockauto in some other brand. They were listed to fit 89-92 hatch or sedan, but they definitely don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am 

Quote:
Ha, I read the OP's link and got my info on the recoloring and rebadging of the GR-2's to Excel G's.
Sorry, I meant to copy and paste the info for you last night but got sidetracked with the photos.

I figured these had to be incorrect. I just wanted to make sure the 1.5L C50s didn't use a smaller diameter spring, hence the smaller diameter spring seat. Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

1.5's and 1.6T shocks had different internal valving, but with respect to their shape and appearance, they are 100% the same.