4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Rotation ROCKS!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:51 am 
Okay, so Tonya and I installed the 400lb springs on the rear of the car and tested it at an autocross yesterday. (We actually swapped the rear springs in about 45minutes, I love my pitcrew!!) The car rotates nicely now. Maybe not quite enough to suit my driving style, but it's definitely an improvement over what I had before. And it doesn't rotate the way it did with the swaybar on. With the swaybar, the car would push hard into a corner, you'd ease off the gas and it would snap around, with little or no warning. Now the back-end rotates very controllably with plenty of time to get back on the gas or steer out to catch the rear from sliding.

Believe it or not, the car doesn't ride all that rough. With the koni's and the 400lb springs, it is still not as rough riding as the KYB AGX and 275lb springs. And it's not as rough as my Dakota with factory springs.

What I'm finding is that the factory actually knew what they were doing when setting up this car. They used pretty close to equal spring-rates all around. So sticking with that idea my suggestion is, if you're getting coilovers, choose a rate that you want and use it on the front and rear. If you find it doesn't rotate enough, bump up the rear spring-rate in increments of 50lbs until you find something you like.

Oh yeah, and please use Koni's, or GR-2's are okay if you're going with a spring-rate under 200 or so pounds and no more then 1-1.5" of lowering. While the AGX's may work well for other cars, they are just not tuned well for the DSM applications.

Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:55 am 
CSM Expert

Jmauld:

Good Write up and I agree 100% with what you say... I have tested most of the applications on this car and the Koni's with some good springs work FANTASTIC. Your right coilovers rock because you can change the springs so quickly and easilty especially if you have air tools no reasons you can do a front spring swap in like 15-20 min and a rear 20-30min (rear plastic trunk peices get in the way...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:08 am 
Oh yeah, I forgot to add.

Increasing the rear spring rates will generally result in increase front traction.

For the dragrace guys who don't drive on the street. Try getting 600lb springs that are 8" long. That will lift the car considerably in the back and really help out with reducing rear weight transfer. I wouldn't drive on the street like this though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:14 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Hehe, i just had a visual of someone driving around with 8" 600lb springs on the streets. I'd actually consider a 500lb spring rate but i wouldn't use a 8" spring. I can sacrifice comfort for speed, my last two cars were absent all the interior behind the front seats, I like the sound of my exhaust resonating through the car...unless I have a hang over.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

Jmauld, what swaybar did you use, & do you find that without there is more body roll?

'89 Plymouth 200GT 4g61t , evo316g, fmic, 1g cams, cyclone intake, 1g throttle body, 2.5 hard pipes, 190 walboro, 650's, 2g o2, 2g ex mani,3" mandrel, ACT 2100, Fidenza flywheel, Unorthodox underdrive pulley, SBR lsd, , AEM wideband, tuned by maf-t, 2" drop, gr-2's, brembo
cross-drilled, metal masters, 205-50 Falken Azenis, etc., 280 whp @ 256 tq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:17 am 
I used the Suspension Techniques Swaybar. There is more body lean without it in place, but it is more driveable now. The biggest difference is the lack of snap oversteer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:05 pm 
CSM Expert

Maybe that rear sway bar was a little too stiff for the Colt? In any case if you not having a problem with understeer then you dont really need the rear sway bar in any case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Do you have one on the front?

- J