4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm 

not sure why but every single act clutch I have installed since 2004..(5 or 6 of them) have had this issue.. added the longer slave rod, bled the hell out of them and still same issues.. on my personal car I always ran center-force clutches and never had 1 single problem.. if u know someone who has a stock clutch/PP that there not using..see if you can try it out.. I know its a hassle to remove the trans again..but worth a shot.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm 

I am glad to see someone else had the same problem that I am having. My old non-turbo tranny had an Act 2600 with a solid 6 puck clutch. I just change the tranny to a turbo tranny with a Southbend SSX dual friction sprung disc. The old tranny did have one washer under the pivot ball, which was installed on the new tranny. I even added a little thickness to the washer. The Southbend SSX is suppose to be equal to the Act 2600, and also recommended by Tim Zimmerman, who built the new Stage-III tranny. I have installed the tranny 3 months ago, but still have not got it out of my driveway. So, my last resort will be to install a longer slave rod to get the clutch to release all the way. I just have to figure out how much longer to make the slave rod.

I hope I do not have to change my clutch to a center-force clutch, due to the cost I already have in the new Southbend clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:04 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/DSM-Extended-Clut ... B008RJHU2M

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the tip on where to purchase the extended slave rod. I actually made a rod about 1/4" longer than the original, but it does not look as long as the one on Amazon. I installed my slave rod a couple of weeks ago, but it was not long enough. I just ordered the other slave rod from Amazon tonight. I will let you know how it works out.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 am 
Some call me a god

I posted the extended slave rod on the 4th post :rolleyes:

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm 

Yes, you are correct, I don't know why I missed it. :cry: Last Saturday I did install the extended slave rod, which is about 1/2" longer than the original, however, I could still not get the car in reverse, but it did seem to go into 1st thru 5th ok, just stiff. So, today I had the colt towed to Battleground Engineering in Smyrna, Georgia to figure out my problem. Speaking to them for a few minutes, they think the linkage is not correct where the transmission bracket holds the cables. So they will try to get the linkage working correctly in the next couple of days. I have tried 4 different length extended slave rods and installed a new master and slave cylinder with a one piece braided line from the master to the slave cylinder. I will let you know what the verdict is my the end of the week.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 am 
Some call me a god

I read threw the thread but didn't see details on a trans swap, what are we swapping from and too?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm 

I am swapping a non-turbo transmission(FM22) to a turbo transmission(FM33) on my 89 Colt turbo charged 4g63, which is a 6-bolt non-turbo block with 280/280 cams, 680 injectors, T4-T67 turbocharger, and balance shaft deleted.

Battleground Engineering found my problem a couple of days ago. The bracket on the top of the transmission that holds to shift cables in place need to be re-drilled and configured for a smooth shift. The longer slave rod on the slave cylinder helped, but did not fix my shifting problems. Unfortunately, I do not know much about the shifting cables to fix my problem, other than working with the hydraulics. The bracket comes in two pieces, and the lower piece can be redrilled to fit, or another lower bracket can be made.

So, if anyone else is trying to swap transmissions from a non-turbo to a turbo, the following items need to be considered and purchased;
1. a new flywheel, larger
2. a new clutch and disc, larger
3. new axles, from 25 spline to 27 spline (the right length)
4. new bell housing guard, the starter will not fit in the old guard
5. a washer under the pivot ball in the transmission (if upgrading your clutch)
6. a longer slave rod for the slave cylinder, need for clearance
7. re-drilling the transmission bracket, which holds the clutch cables
8. Take many photos of the transmission bracket, and the way the cables fit above

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Can you pull back on the clutch pedal and get play.

Reverse switch missing the washer under the sensor? That blocks out reverse, by mechanical design if the washer is missing.

Shifter arms not being correct angles and then adjustment not having an effect, could be a big thing.

Do you have adjustable shifter cables like the C53a?

Do you have shifter arms from a KM210 trans?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 pm 

Quote:
Can you pull back on the clutch pedal and get play.

Reverse switch missing the washer under the sensor? That blocks out reverse, by mechanical design if the washer is missing.

Shifter arms not being correct angles and then adjustment not having an effect, could be a big thing.

Do you have adjustable shifter cables like the C53a?

Do you have shifter arms from a KM210 trans?
You are asking me questions way over my head. "Battleground Engineering" still my my colt at their shop, so I will ask them these questions and get back with you. I think my shifter arms is from a KM210 Trans, but I will check to make sure. I have not seen the adjusted shifters yet, only talked with them on the phone and they said the angle was off slightly. I should have the colt back this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:43 pm 

My colt is now drivable! Installer88, who works for Battleground Engineering fixed me up. Apparently the shifter cables do not fit the same on the transmission bracket going from a non-turbo to a turbo transmission. The lever on the transmission had to get a welded piece of metal attached to shorten the shift, which allowed the transmission to shift normally. The gear shifter does have adjustable cables in the gear box, but I am still not sure which cables I have, the C53A or the KM210.