All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Transmission Swap
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:18 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm 
Some call me a god

Your flywheel is not stepped. Someone on here can definitively answer your question on using it with an f5m33 or f5m31. I know that most will run the stepped flywheel, pressure plate, and 225mm clutch.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm 

Thanks for the flywheel clarification. It sounds like I had a non-turbo flywheel, pressure plate and disk, and I will need to purchase a new lightweight flywheel, pressure plate and disc to fit the 225mm turbo clutch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 pm 

Yes, you will need the larger flywheel/clutch for the F5M33. That is a na flywheel, it doesn't have the hole for the dowel pin like the turbo ones do. The crank is the same on both engines though so I would add the dowel while I had it apart. I'm guessing Mitsu put it there for a reason on the higher HP engines.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:32 pm 

So the hole in the motor crank, between the two bolts that tighten the flywheel to the motor, matches a similar hole in the turbo flywheel (since I do not have the turbo flywheel yet, I can not see it now)? Is this where the dowel goes, and can I just hammer it in?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 pm 

Since I last wrote about my transmission swap on July 1012, I have purchased and installed an ACT Xact streetlight flywheel #600155 (12.5#), a South Bend Clutch, DSM SS-X with Kevlar/Ceramic Dual Friction Clutch, new TOB, competition forged steel clutch fork, and new CV axles to fit the FM33 Transmission (27 spline inside & 25 spline outside), I also had to re-drill the clutch to body mount to get the transmission to fit properly to the mount, which was about 1/2 inch off. I also had to re-drill the transmission cable bracket hole to fit the cables correctly. Once everything was install correctly, the clutch pedal went to the floor with no tension. So I bleed the hydraulic line and slave cylinder. However, I only got 11.6mm of travel on the slave cylinder. None of the gears would go into gear by pushing the clutch. So, I adjusted my clutch pedal all the way out to get the most travel in the pedal. After adjusting out, I checked to make sure the TOB would still travel toward the slave cylinder, to check the reverse bleed for automatic adjustment. My slave cylinder was now moving about 13mm. I could now get only third gear to go in place after pushing in the clutch. Tim Zimmerman, who rebuilt the clutch said I need 16mm or 17mm for the clutch to work properly. Does anyone know what I can do next to get the extra length?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:32 pm 
Some call me a god

Now lengthen the clutch master rod as far as you can before the slave refuses to push back in by hand.
By this I mean lengthen it until you can't push the slave back in, then shorten it just enough that you can push it in by hand again.

That will solve your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm 

Yes, I did screw the clutch master rod clockwise to unscrew it all the way out, or about 3/8 inch, then checked the slave rod to make sure it would still push toward toward the slave cylinder, and it did. The problem is that it is adjusted all the way out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

The hydraulic clutch has now been bleed and the pedal has been adjusted all the way out. However, the car will not go into gear with the car running, however, if I put the car in 1st gear before the car is cranked, it will crank and push forward while in 1st, but the gears will not shift due to the hydraulic clutch not pushing the TOB far enough.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I can do?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Not that I have ever done this myself, but I have READ that sometimes it is necessary to place a washer underneath the pivot ball for the clutch fork. This moves fork closer to the slave cylinder and also move the TOB closer to the pressure plate. Jack's Transmissions has a write up about clutch drag you should read.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages ... s-synchros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:45 pm 

yes, I have heard of installing a washer under the pivot ball, but I was not sure that would work with brand new flywheel, clutch, and transmission. That is why I tried to do everything possible with the hydraulic slave and the pedal first. Since this is my first project car, I am just not sure. Is there any way to install the washer thru the rubber seal on where the TOB comes out of the tranny, or do I need to remove the Transmission all together to get to it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 pm 
Some call me a god

If you want to try spacing the pivot ball without removing the trans the worst that can happen is you will have to remove the trans, which you would have had to do anyway. I think it is worth trying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 am 

what about lengthening the slave cylinder rod to push the TOB further? Which would mean taking the slave cylinder rod out and making a new rod by welding length to it, or replacing the rod with something of the same diameter. I have read on other forums that others have done this instead of adding a washer.

Or if you know of another slave cylinder that would fit, but has a longer rod.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:39 am 
Some call me a god

I would do that only if the clutch fork is not close to bottoming out on the cut out in the housing. Jack's explains what I am referring to in the write up I linked.