4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:08 am 

I get a few minutes away from home on my way to work and start to smell burning brakes. There is a nice looking Jaguar in front of me, and nobody else around. Logic tells me it's probably not the Jaguar, so I decide to pull over.

Oh yes, me smell burning brakes something fierce.

One walk around the car leads me to the right rear where quite the whisp of smoke is rolling out from behind the tire. I crawl under there and fiddle with the e-brake arm/spring do-hicky and it pops free. Continue on to work and arrive with no fire which tells me the pads released just fine. Before I left tonight I jacked up the rear to make sure the tire was spinning fine. It was.

Saturday morning I replaced both passenger side cv boots and had the parking brake set because of it. Left it that way till this afternoon when I left for work. Apparently that wasn't best idea. For some reason it didn't release like it normally does.

So now the question is, what do I do? Aside of course from not using the parking brake anymore. :D The pads are Axxis Metal Masters with no more than 2k miles on them and turned the rotors when I put them on. I think my first attack will be to rough up the rotor and pads and see if I can salvage some life out of them. I'd rather not spend the money to redo the brakes on the rear axle but am afraid I cooked them too much.

Any comments suggestions? I'll get pictures tomorrow.

Member #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:09 pm 

Well I tore it apart. Rotor has a slight blue tint to it now. Pads were a little shiny. I roughed up the rotor and the pads using some sandpaper. I'm going to leave it at that for now. I took pictures but don't feel like uploading and you can't really see much anyhow.

The parking brake still sticks, but I'll try and remember to not use it, or reach up under there and relase it if I do.

Member #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:16 pm 
Some call me a god

maybe the line is sticking, or needs to be adjusted. Fromt he interior take your console out and fiddle with the bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:33 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

i had a problem with e-brake cable sticking when it is real cold out. replaced the cable now it works great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:36 pm 
CSM Expert

Just disconnect that one e brake cable one ebrake cable enough to keep the car from going anywhere :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:37 pm 
CSM Expert

At least you have a right rear caliper :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:50 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

Quote:
At least you have a right rear caliper :P
lmao at least your allowed to drive your car :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:39 pm 

Disconnecting that one side does sound like a good idea. I rarley use the e-brake, but when I need it, I don't think twice about pulling on it. I've already had to manually release it a couple of times after not thinking and pulling on it. It's worked flawlessly the past year too. Apparently it didn't like being on all weekend with chocks around the back wheels and me jacking up the front a few different times.

I'm thinking about just spraying some white lithium grease into the line and see if that will free it up enough. One, I'm not sure if that's the best stuff to use, two, it probably won't go up in there far enough to do any good, and three, it may not be the line. I will un-hook it again and see if it's the caliper that actually has the problem and not the line.

Thanks for the input.

Member #1