4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: oil on plugs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:15 am 
Is this a sign of a blown head gasket?

There's is no oil below or above the red marks in the picture. Also, the oil is not coming from the valve cover gaskets. My #1 and #4 plugs look like this. The other two plugs are fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:20 am 
CSM Expert

Run a compression test it will tell you with som certainty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:39 pm 
CSM Expert

I would have sworn it was the valve cover o-rings that are leaking oil which drips down the threads when you remove the plug. If you had any oil at all in the combustion chamber it would get burnt and leave deposits on the plug. I cant see all that clearly but the electrode doesn't look all that bad. An 'in-focus' picture would be nice... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:47 pm 
There was absolutely no oil on the spark plug boots and none came out on the spark plug socket either. The electrodes actually look okay, other then the gap being too large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:24 pm 
CSM Expert

If the oil was leaking from the o-rings it wont necessarilly wet the spark plug boots since they dont go all the way down into the recess in any case. To me it looks like you have oil pooling a few mm's right at the bottom of the wells which leaks down the plug threads when you remove them.

When was the last time you replaced the o-rings. They go hard when old and stop sealing. I reckon its worth replacing them for starters as theyr'e cheap and easy to get to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:29 pm 
They are less then a year old... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:34 am 
CSM Expert

Maybe it just needs to be retightened then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:49 am 
CSM Junkie

this stuff is a real pain!, with all my motor cycle i had this problem.

when you replace a valve cover gasket and the spark plug grommets you have to clean very carefully both surface(i do with acetone), and if you want you can even put a little film of that brown sticky cement gasket on the surfaces(dont put to much, just a film) and then you can put your gasket and teh valvecover.

Dont over tight your valve cover, they are prone to crack those mitsi covers!

My bike valvecovers use to leak all the time after an overhaul since i started using this procedure everything is just fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:36 pm 

the more suggestions the better, cuz mine does that as well, and i have no clue how the oil gets there.It really does not seem to affect the performance right now, i think.
hey JMAULD let me know what you try..... cos its buggin the s%&t out me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:10 pm 
CSM Expert

Stick a straight rule across the rocker cover and make sure it is still flat. How hard do you generally tighten the rocker cover? Its possible that it may be warped and on the way to being cracked. I hand tighten the 10mm bolts down with just a socket on the end of a short extender. You have to go over the bolts a few times as when you tighten the bolts neighbours it becomes loose again.

The gasket goo method should work ok as well, or you can use a thin film of RTV. I find that I need a smear of RTV on the gasket where the cover goes over the camshaft tunnels and cam sensor to get it seal well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:33 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I get a little pool of oil on the inner part of my valve cover. I wipe it up, and and new one comes after a few days, I'm guessing this is somehow related to a leaky valve cover gasket too, although its hard to imagine where it would be coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:46 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I get a little pool of oil on the inner part of my valve cover. I wipe it up, and and new one comes after a few days, I'm guessing this is somehow related to a leaky valve cover gasket too, although its hard to imagine where it would be coming from.
homer, go to a mitsu dealer and get a new oil cap! your problem sounds like a finished oil cap. they a 12 bucks i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:27 pm 
CSM Expert

Quote:
Yeah I get this too. The oil manages to leak up past the bolts that hold down the centre of the rocker cover. A small amount of RTV under the bolt heads will stop it leaking if it bothers you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:16 pm 
Still no compression tester. :(

But I did pull those two plugs out again today and there was oil on the electrodes this time. It's weird, because I'm not smoking blue smoke. But I'm also blowing oil out of the side of the engine worse today then I have been before. It seems to be coming from the head gasket area, under the timing belt. I can't tell for certain, though. My guess is that it's only leaking under boost.

So, when I get back, I'm going to try to change the head gasket and timing belt. Anything else that I should change while I'm in there? (I don't want to here anything about swapping to a 4g63, it's already hard enough!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:18 am 
CSM Expert

Might want to do a water pump it would be awful to get eveything back together just to have a waterpump fail....