4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:23 pm 

I have a question for all of you. What are you guys doing for brakes? Are you stock? Did you upgrade to the M/C turbo brakes? Did you do a custom setup?

If you are still on the stock brakes, how do they hold up to the power. I'm going to be doing the swap soon, but I want to make sure I can stop after I'm done doing the swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:33 pm 
CSM Expert

I haven't even done the swap yet and I think the N/T brake are complete inadequite (sp?) I have decided to do this for my action plan.

Upgrade Rear brake to Mirage turbo discs (I decided to use Brembo (OEM) discs
Upgrade the fronts to Zinc Plated X Drilled KVR Discs
Using KVR Carbon Fiber pads all around.
SS Brake Lines (I got mine from RRE)
Using a 92 N/T non-ABS Dodge Stealth master cylinder (1" Piston)
90 Talon Prop. Valve
Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid

All of this is currently sitting on my dining room floor going to be installed this Saturday. If this doesn't firm up my pedal I honestly don't know what will...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:01 pm 

the stock brakes on the 4g15 are not good at alll....they barely stop my car and a cousin of mine who has the same model. this is comparing it to a primera and even a 1979 toyota celica...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:21 pm 
CSM Expert

I think after all my brake mods I will have VERY strong brakes but it takes like $200 to make your brakes on par with everything else...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:24 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I've been thinking about this for a while... Could I go to the scrapyard, grab some Honda Civic rear discs (same bolt pattern (note: 4Gs are 4x100)) and slap them on? Or would I need to fab stuff first (not talking about brake hoses, I mean mounting hardware and whatever.) What about calipers?

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:33 pm 
CSM Expert

Jay you could.. but why would you? get the swap kit for RPW that comes with everything just for your car... No fabbing nesscarry... Why would you take shortcuts with your brakes I think thats something you would not want to skimp on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:10 am 

Well, I wouldn't use the scrapyard pads and rotors, I'd get new ones... Just the basic mounting hardware... I'm thinking I can do this a bit cheaper than the RPW kit since it wouldn't have to be shipped from Australia.
I think Vision Imports makes a kit too but shipping still... I don't know really, just throwing around some ideas (I'm not going to the wreckers for parts until it's above zero out, doh.)

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:30 am 
CSM Expert

Yeah I understand about the brakes but you would have to fab a bracket to hold a caliper and if your weld broke bad bad stuff would happen and Visions Kit is the imported RPW kit. You gould also follow what stewart dibbs if you want to fab something up you might as well go all the way :)

http://www.vysor.com/lancerproject.htm

he has 2 alternatives 4x114.3 or a 5x114.3 lug conversion...

Stewart has all the answers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:39 pm 
Some call me a god

yeah I'm looking for brakes too.

I need something powerful enough to stop the 4G63T but also cost effective. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg just to stop the car.

The solution that guy has on his '93 summit with the hub conversion seems costly. buying all those parts and also getting all those extra parts fabricated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:20 pm 
CSM Expert

Welllll I'm ive been using the stock Mirage 1.5L brakes (I'm still running the same rotors and pads since I bought the car in '98. Changed the rear drum pads once last year. I've never rear ended anyone or crashed :) Although I do end up using the e-brake quite a bit (I call my e-brake my flaps) to even out the braking load :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:32 pm 
CSM Expert

At least your front discs are vented more than i can say for the hatch guys our brakes suck so bad I just about rear ended someone today i wasn't even following close the brake just were not stopping the car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:45 pm 

yea tell me about it...repeated stopping from high speed doesnt help either..i drove mine all the way down to HIN in atlantic city last year..and having 4 ppl in the car didnt help either. I almost rear rear ended a few ppl. Coming back was worse. I heated up the pads so bad a few times that i boiled the fluid good, and that my friend driving next to me said everytime i hit the brakes they either were sparking or if i held them down long enough, they started glowing a dull dull red.....sucks to have solid non vented the front.
Im upgrading to a set of elantra brakes in the front soon..next weekend hopefully. The weather is getting warmer..and my rad fan doesnt work cuse it broke and im using a civic one at the moment. So its either new brakes or a new radiator.

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:24 pm 
Please take a bunch of pictures of your stock hubs with the elantra hubs. Specifically the strut and the tie-rod arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:18 pm 
CSM Expert

Jmauld:

I came to the relization if I buy a good quality rotor it probably will last a long time and 266mm is mighty big for this car so I decided bump steer and all the issues aren't worth it so the Expo Idea still might work but for the time being its on hold for me.. I don't need 275mm dual piston frons to slow down the 4g15 all my other mods should make it stop just nicely The weather here was so cold last weekend I didn't do the big swap but its on for this weekend I hopefully will have the front calipers and caliper brakets by then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:38 pm 

The talon setup all around worked for me... :D My 215/40r16s weren't up to the task of hard braking though. Tires put all the stoping force to the ground.