4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: timing vs boost
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:14 pm 
I know that you get more power by increasing the boost as high as you can, but let's say that you're turbo and IC limited to a low amount of boost (!14psi).

How high can you go with the ignition timing to compensate for this?

Another reason I want to do this, is because I don't want to run 17psi on a roadcourse, but I still want to make a good bit of power. Does increasing the timing cause a lot of extra heat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:31 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

As long as you can adjust your fuel flow accordingly you shouldn't have a problem with increased heat. At least not to a level of major concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:19 pm 
CSM Expert

I got 2 ignition maps for my Haltech when I bought it. An EVO3 map and a Galant VR4 map. The VR4 map uses ~18' of timing at ~14psi and the EVO3 was slightly more aggressive at ~21' - probably because the EVO3 16G turbo is more effecient at that level with the larger IC.

The base maps delivered with a Haltech are always conservative so you can safely bump those up 3-4' no probs. I would consider 25' of timing, 20psi (4G61T-14B) boost on pump fuel to be very aggressive.

Generally, higher advance will give you more torque - at least until it starts to detonate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:24 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

yea my thoughts exactly xlr8. Timing does increase torque if u bump it up a little..but too much causes detonation. The only way you can get increased heat out of this is if you retard the timing, and that causes external temps to go up (ex manifold and turbo) and make them run red hot sometimes...because the timing is retarded enough where the actual combustion event is occuring in the manifold and the turbo. You lose horsepower, spit flames out the exhaust on occaision, and your EGTs go thru the roof, even tho the combustion chamber components are only warm...just the turbo and the manifold get put thru extreme heat..

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."