4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 am 
Some call me a god

I'm getting ready to put big brakes on my 3g hatch, and I've been reading a lot about bump steer. In basic terms, bump steer is what happens when your tie rods are not parallel with your control arms. The toe angle changes as the suspension articulates through it's travel.

I have my Yoshifab camber plates, SFX performance slotted 276mm Gvr-4 rotors, a set of Wagner QC530 ceramic brake pads, NATIONAL Part # 225082 inner front wheel bearing seals, and (here's where it gets complicated) a set of Gvr-4 front steering knuckles.

The thing about the Gvr-4 knuckles is that the tie rod goes up into them from the bottom instead of the top. The steering arm on the Gvr-4 knucles is higher than the CSM ones, but even still, it looks like the tie rod pivot point would be moved down from the original position, which (assuming it was engineered correctly with the CSM knuckles) will introduce bump steer. I've been performing independent research at my research facility, and as far as I can tell the AWD DSM knuckles are the same dimensions as the Gvr-4 knuckles.

Throughout the course or this thread, we're going to measure bump steer, explore knuckle options, and in the end, make my Colt slow down like an imperial destroyer coming out of hyperwarp, so buckle up, hold on, and of course any input is greatly appreciated.

Pull up a chair, and put a bag of popcorn in the microwave.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 am 
Some call me a god

He's gone to plaid - spaceballs

Good luck with the adventure, would be nice to have some more options if it will work thats for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm 
Some call me a god

I'm looking into 92 era FWD Summit wagon knuckles, but the junkyard wants $100 for a pair. They have the tie rods on top, and they use the same National #513036 wheel bearing as the DSM and Gvr-4.
It sucks that I need to buy them to really get a better comparison, but they look really close, based on holding the Colt hatch knuckle up next to the one in the junkyard car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm 
Some call me a god

I did that swap on my old hatch, and plan on doing my sedan here in the next few weeks. I just drilled out the Gvr4 hub to accept the CSM tie rod the correct way. So the hole in no longer tappered. I had absolutly NO bump steer. and it worked well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I did that swap on my old hatch, and plan on doing my sedan here in the next few weeks. I just drilled out the Gvr4 hub to accept the CSM tie rod the correct way. So the hole in no longer tappered. I had absolutly NO bump steer. and it worked well.

But isn't the steering arm way higher on the Gvr-4 hub? Mine looks like it would be closer to original if I flip the tie rods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 pm 

I have a pair of fwd knuckles from a summit wagon here, they're yours for shipping if you want them or I can take some pics or get you measurements if you'd rather do that.

I also have a pair from a 1g awd and a 4g csm (these are for my car).

From what you've explained machining the hubs for the stock csm knuckles might be the best way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm 

This thread needs pictures... I am kind of new at this but you are drilling the hub or the knuckle?

If it had pictures I am sure it would be a great How To

Here is what I have

4g knuckles and hubs (i believe anyway. maybe I have my definitions incorrect...)

I wish it was a little more detailed but the shield plates are in the way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:34 pm 

Quote:
I have a pair of fwd knuckles from a summit wagon here, they're yours for shipping if you want them or I can take some pics or get you measurements if you'd rather do that.

From what you've explained machining the hubs for the stock csm knuckles might be the best way to go.

You mean like this

So the hubs stock hubs fit inside the rotor? these are the 276mm rotors

Then you have your big brakes and calipers bolt onto it

Quote:
then just fitted the twin pots with 6mm spacers, because the rotor's are 6mm thick (kinds like running wheel spacers).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 pm 

^^^Yep, thats what I was talking about. While I haven't done this first hand I think he just dis-assembled everything and machined off the outside of the hub until it slid inside the GVR4 rotor. Once he got the clearance he needed he put it all back together and used some washers to space the twin piston caliper out so that it centered the rotor.

I think the 4g csm knuckles would be the 2nd best solution. According to Devolution its a straight swap and all you have to do is flip the tie-rod ends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:

Yeah I want them for sure Chris thanks! The tie rods go in from the top on those right?

Ps. I have a bunch of pictures, when I get them uploaded I'll post them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm 

Forgot to mention this is the knuckles only, I pressed the hubs out a long time ago to use on my 4g. PM me your address again and I'll get them boxed up and off to Fedex.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Here are the pictures I have so far. Chris is sending me the wagon knuckles, then I'll get some shots of those on the grid.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Colt Knuckle:
vr-4 knuckle:
DSM AWD Knuckle:

Here's how the Gvr-4 Sael doesn't fit the Colt axles:

Thefix:

Fixed:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 pm 
Some call me a god

Machining down the CSM hub and putting the rotor over it sounds like about the best idea, but I like the idea of having the beefier knuckle and bearing. Besides, I already bought camber plates.

In the thumbnails at the top of my prevoius post, it shows the difference in the hubs and bearings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am 

just to throw you off. I can get a set of 4g knuckles for your, or anyone who wants a set. The salvage yard is full of them right now.
But it looks like you are dedicated to this method.

Where did you find the camber plates?
I may be looking for a set for my car

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:19 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
just to throw you off. I can get a set of 4g knuckles for your, or anyone who wants a set. The salvage yard is full of them right now.
But it looks like you are dedicated to this method.

Where did you find the camber plates?
I may be looking for a set for my car
Yeah, I've seen a thread where someone used the 4g knuckles too, but they look a bit different too.

Camber plates: http://www.yoshifab.com/store/index.php ... oductId=31