4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4G63 NT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I was looking into performing a 46g3 non-turbo swap into my 4g15 chassis. Theres a sale on complete engines at the local salvage yard so i'm hoping i can get the complete engine, wiring harness, ecu, mpi relay, injector resistor, and maf sensor. I know I would have to find some turbo mirage engine mounts. Am i missing anything else here? Do i have to upgrade the stock fuel pump?
I've looked on dsm boards and it looks like I can upgrade the NT wiring harness when I get enough money for a 4g63 turbo. All i would have to do is add some wires to the ecu for the sensors that the turbo motor has and swap to the turbo ecu, mpi relay, injector resistor, maf, and fuel pump. I can then use the NA block and head for spares. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:56 pm 

i wouldnt do it if i was you and more so if you were wanting to upgrade to the turbo 4g63 later. i really dont think you would be satisfied with the minimal power gains from the n/a motor and then you would have to do the same job of swaping the motor twice. by the way, the n/a 4g63 would be worthless as a spare, the head dosent flow nearly as good as the turbo head plus you would have to get turbo cams....the block dosent have oil squirters or a knock sensor which is absolutely necessary for the turbo setup and even then you would have to buy turbo pistons just so you could lower the compression and i know there are also some other non-cost effictive things you wouldhave to get as well. I think you should just stick it out and wait untill you can find a nice complete 6 bolt turbo motor like i did. i waited for at least 6 months before anything poped up after i got the swap idea in my head. anyways, thats just my thought on that subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:10 am 
CSM Junkie

save until you have the cash for the 63t. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:14 am 

Can someone just answer my questions rather than telling me what i should do instead? :x
It is hard to find a turbo harness. That's why i looked into using a NA harness and adding the necessary wires and such to allow a turbo motor. Since im hoping i can get the NA motor for 80 bucks, I might as well drop that motor in for now. That would be an upgrade in itself from the 4g15's 87hp to the 135 hp of the NA 4g63. Last time i checked, the 1g heads are the same, only the intake cams are different. The block doesn't have a knock sensor, ok that can be added. Oil squrters, they just cool the pistons, and some hardcore people remove them to reduce windage. The oil squirters also have been blamed for the 2g crankwalks.
Like i said i was going to get another complete 4G63 turbo motor. So i would only have to do the necessary mods to the harness, upgrade the fuel pump, and add an intercooler to use it. $o2.

When did this General Tech get started??? I remember starting this in the General Discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:48 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Can someone just answer my questions rather than telling me what i should do instead? :x
It is hard to find a turbo harness. That's why i looked into using a NA harness and adding the necessary wires and such to allow a turbo motor. Since im hoping i can get the NA motor for 80 bucks, I might as well drop that motor in for now. That would be an upgrade in itself from the 4g15's 87hp to the 135 hp of the NA 4g63. Last time i checked, the 1g heads are the same, only the intake cams are different. The block doesn't have a knock sensor, ok that can be added. Oil squrters, they just cool the pistons, and some hardcore people remove them to reduce windage. The oil squirters also have been blamed for the 2g crankwalks.
Like i said i was going to get another complete 4G63 turbo motor. So i would only have to do the necessary mods to the harness, upgrade the fuel pump, and add an intercooler to use it. $o2.

When did this General Tech get started??? I remember starting this in the General Discussion.
Yes, the heads are the same, it is just the cams that are different. I would go for the NA swap, it is simple to add the required wires for the turbo conversion. Although I think there is the issue of making sure you use the 90 NA harness too....not too sure here though. The turbo wiring harness came in talons, eclipses, and lasers, we found three harnesses in our local yard alone. They really are not that hard to find, and you can use an aftermarket tach if you cannot find a 90 (although you will have to have it recalibrated or get an MSD-DIS converter box).

I think the General Tech just popped up last night :). I was wondering that myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:23 pm 

the oil squirters are diffrent for the 2g's mane and most people who arent using them are people who are not using thier cars on the street. plus i think you would have to drill into the block to install a knock sensor. i just dont think you would have a reliable motor without these things thats all and it just dosent make sense to me to do the same job twice when you get the turbo version to start with but go ahead i guess, it's your car. :roll:

Post subject: my teo cents worth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:28 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I agree with the above. I am 100% certain the heads are the same and flow the same. The na head even has the oil take off that goes to the turbo, but it is blocked. The cams are different, but I heard of people running the na cams in a turbo motor to add some torque? I havent done it, and dont know the total outcome. The block has a tapped hole for the knock sensor already (at least the one I was using as I added a knock sensor to my na with an autronic engine management).

Oil squirters are important, but I personally owned a 1G talon with an NT motor that was stuffed into a turbo car. Lack of squirters may have contributed to additional heat when I was rallycrossing the car, but nothing long term was noticed.

As for the increased compression, look at what is being done. The big piston upgrade for the turbo motor is to install the 2G pistons, now look at their compression. Running the NT 9:1 with a turbo is no big deal at all!

You are in San Jose right? PnP in fremont had two turbo cars a few weeks ago, check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:41 pm 

yeah, the 95 pistons increase the compression to 8.5:1 not to 9.0:1 with pistons and internals that were not meant for forced induction. to me it's just not worth it mostly since it's just not cost effective but whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:55 pm 
If you can seriously get the engine for $80, then go for it, stick it in there and get it to run. Everything else that you buy to get it to run should be transferrable to the turbo engine so you won't be losing much more then $80 and a bit of time to do the install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:04 pm 

I checked PnPs in newark, and san jose, friday and saturday. No luck on any eclipses what so ever. That is very disappointing. I was hoping to at least find something. The closest i ever got was last week with a NA but i chose to come back the next day, and by the next day some dudes were pulling the head off. Dang they had 2 turbo ones in newark. That sucks. Now the price for motors are going back up to 139.99. Thats still a pretty good deal for a turbo motor.

By the way theres a gt turbo in newark. I got a couple of stuff off of it. All the suspension is still there for brake upgrades. As for the motor, it was missing the exhaust cam, valve cover, exhaust manifold, and turbo when i got there. I got the motor mounts that i need. :D