4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Intercooler Value?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:02 am 

G'Day all,

So what's the expensive bit of the intercooler? Tanks or core? Been given a free intercooler, and trying to determine if making new tanks is more expensive than the value of the core....

Cheers!
Slaphead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:53 am 

Who made the core?
If its an ebay core it's probably not worth it.

Post subject: Re: Intercooler Value?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:10 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
G'Day all,

So what's the expensive bit of the intercooler? Tanks or core? Been given a free intercooler, and trying to determine if making new tanks is more expensive than the value of the core....

Cheers!
Slaphead
You'd have to post pictures of the intercooler so the resident experts can take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:11 am 

Righto...
OEM Calsonic, ex R32 GTS-T. Tanks are cast ex-factory, core is 2 3/8" deep, 7 3/8" tall and 8 1/2" wide.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 am 

Usually OEM's are pretty well designed. If the fins look good and its the size you want just go ahead and have endtanks made if you can find someone to do it in your price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:27 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Who made the core?
Why is an ebay core not worth it.
What makes them inferior to lets say, a Greddy?

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:59 pm 
CSM Junkie

I'd go chinabay, can't beat it for the money.

'17 Fiesta ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:49 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Who made the core?
Why is an ebay core not worth it.
What makes them inferior to lets say, a Greddy?
Not all Ebay cores are junk. Just most of them. They're cheaply made with crappy welds that tend to leak or break with higher boost applications. They also may use inferior types of material that causes limited life and limited structural intergrity.

Honestly if you were building a high boost high hp car why would you go with a cheap knock off ebay core that could break and possibly cause damage to your engine, or go with a brand that you know and trust and has been proven time and time again.

Looking for either a CSM or a 4WD Mighty Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:41 pm 
CSM Junkie

I do agree with the old adage of getting what you pay for, however I've never heard of an intercooler just 'breaking' before. :rolleyes:

I dunno, that turbo mustang project I was involved in now makes over 500 to the wheels using a $130 ebay intercooler, and showed little signs of heat soaking with multiple pulls on the dyno.
Not saying it's gods gift to intercooling theory, but in practice, it obviously gets the job done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 pm 

Mainly what I ment by breaking is welds cracking and such. The only time I've seen one "break" was when my buddie went into a ditch and put a log through his fmic.

I wasn't nessically saying that an ebay intercooler will break, just cheap ebay knock offs in general.

Looking for either a CSM or a 4WD Mighty Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:02 am 
Some call me a god

I've seen 446whp out of a basic ebay 24x12x3 intercooler with 2.5" endtanks, this was at 29psi on a green. What was so sad is that torque was only at 370ft/lbs, basically concluding there was more than a 3psi drop across the core, awesome. An AEM map sensor was placed on the upper intercooler piping and showed a 3.5psi pressure difference at 29psi between turbo outlet pressure and the UICP, what to go ebay! You get what you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:12 pm 

Quote:
I've seen 446whp out of a basic ebay 24x12x3 intercooler with 2.5" endtanks, this was at 29psi on a green. What was so sad is that torque was only at 370ft/lbs, basically concluding there was more than a 3psi drop across the core, awesome. An AEM map sensor was placed on the upper intercooler piping and showed a 3.5psi pressure difference at 29psi between turbo outlet pressure and the UICP, what to go ebay! You get what you pay for.
yup my buddies talon put down 603awhp on ebay ic spiking 35psi on a GT40. I'm pretty sure its good for it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:44 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
yup my buddies talon put down 603awhp on ebay ic spiking 35psi on a GT40. I'm pretty sure its good for it :lol:
Depends what the flow rating and fin density is. Most of the ebay cores in the 24x12x3 range, which is fairly decent size, are good for around 450whp. Yeah I'm sure some of the larger cores can easily make more power but you take a competing ebay 24x12x3.5 core and compare it to a griffin or garrett of the same size and I wonder how the two will compare in flow and cooling ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:46 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

You do have to be careful with the Ebay cores -- some have had luck with them while others have not.

Jafro, of of the CADSM guys, has had terrible luck with one. He has split the endtanks on a cheap IC three or more times, all the while never even getting the chance to run big boost. He stated that the endtanks were made of very thin gauge AL, and the welds were worthless. Fortunately for him, his cousin has a good TIG welder and some skills, so they were able to repair the endtanks, and got it working after several tries, I believe. From his tone and amount of bitching on the CADSM list, I personally would not like to go through the same process.

FWIW, I'd at least get the seller to guarantee the IC has been pressure tested.

Bill T.
www.etmotorsports.com

'95 Eclipse GS-T (sold)
'95 Talon Tsi AWD (RIP)
'89 Mirage 4G15 (sold)
'89 Colt GT Turbo (sold)
'92 Galant VR-4 #753 of 1000 (sold)
'99 Eclipse Spyder GSX

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm 

Quote:
You do have to be careful with the Ebay cores -- some have had luck with them while others have not.

Jafro, of of the CADSM guys, has had terrible luck with one. He has split the endtanks on a cheap IC three or more times, all the while never even getting the chance to run big boost. He stated that the endtanks were made of very thin gauge AL, and the welds were worthless. Fortunately for him, his cousin has a good TIG welder and some skills, so they were able to repair the endtanks, and got it working after several tries, I believe. From his tone and amount of bitching on the CADSM list, I personally would not like to go through the same process.

FWIW, I'd at least get the seller to guarantee the IC has been pressure tested.

Bill T.
http://www.etmotorsports.com

Yes I did have a hell of a hard time with mine, and I do recall being a bitch about it. :partyman: I learned the hard way that if you blow out welds, it's not the weld's fault. It's the materials' fault even if only the welds break. The original welds were beautiful, but the end tanks were aluminum balloons.

What I didn't know about acceptance or end tanks at the time, I made up for with knowledge of intercooler cores. The kit I bought had an extruded-tube core. Extruded-tube's were the lowest pressure-dropping and most efficient cores available at the time, out-flowing all bar/plate & tube/fin cores of the same size. It came with a great short-route aluminum pipe kit, HKS SSQV, couplers, clamps for $720, which was a multi-win however, the manufacturer cut corners on the end tank materials (weakest link). After 4 or 5 blowouts and no support from the vendor, I reconstructed them from 8-gauge aluminum, and I'm not sure there's a turbo out there that will blow them out before the core gives. They're flippin' awesome.

I have no problem with budget intercoolers, at least not anymore. Can't complain. I got what I [wanted] [asked for].

I know this thread is old as hell, and it's too late to answer the OP. I've been away from here for years. Life is crazy. What's up Bill!?