4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: broken bolt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:58 pm 

i was wondering if any one had any tips on getting some broke bolts out?i broke the axles carrier bearing bolts

Last edited by debow_8787 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: broken bolt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
i was wondering if any one had any tips on getting some broke bolts out?i broke the bolts that hold the axle up to the block and i dont no how to get the rest of the bolt out of the block.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but a trick that works for me 50% of the time(if its not crammed in there extra hard) is taking another bolt, cutting the head off, scar up and clean the head and the bolt, and using a high grade epoxy to "weld it on, over night". make sure to spread it thin and not to get any on the part your removing the bolt from. I have also epoxied old sockets to security nuts to get rims off, works great!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 pm 

here is a pic of what bolts broke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:22 pm 

Ouch, you mean the bolts in the back of the engine block? Maybe a 90% drill and then some easy outs? I know theres not much space back there to work, plus its a awkward place to get to. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:42 pm 

ive had that happen 2 times over the years..it definatly sucks.. first time I tried ti drill it out while in car... no go screwed it all up... pulled the motor and tried to redrill it.. still no go....ended up fabing some stuff which was just jerry rigged but worked for a few years...... the 2nd time I pulled the motor and took it to a machine shop and let them pull it out.. then went to ace hardware and got some grade 8 bolts.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:49 pm 

if i have to pole the motor i will just put the motor i have on the engine stand in the car but my buddy that works at a shop said thay would do it for like $100 bucks so i mite just have them do it i dont really have the tools to do it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm 

anouther thing I was thinking of is.. remove the t-belt and trans mounts.....put a jack ubder the crossmember and unbolt them to lower the motor 6-8 inches to give u more room in there..might have to undo the rad hoses..but that should be all.

anyway u do it..good luck and keep us posted on how they did it..take pics or video if u can.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:58 am 

so i got one out today i just drilled in to it and used an EZ out did not even have to drop the motor the other one is going to be a lil harder cuz the shaft for the steering comes out right in front of it so i am trying to find a way to get to it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 am 
The Silent Administrator

Demount the rack and swing it up out of the way, or down as whichever may be better. Bolt it back up and get an alignment when your done. That may be an option.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:32 am 
Some call me a god

90 degree drill or air tool.

Drill into the center with a small drill bit, go larger with the bit to remove as much of the snapped stud as possible.
Finish up with a GOOD easy out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 pm 

well i will be getting the other one out when i take the motor out to put the new one in a freeze plug in the back of the motor broke open so i am just going to take the motor out and put the one i got built in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:45 am 

I had this happen to me... It was the perfect time for me to pull my 4g61 and install my 4g63.... I bough new stock bolts but I would recommend stronger ones if you can find them.. I have a feeling I will be breaking mine again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 am 
Owner/Admin

Quote:
90 degree drill or air tool.

Drill into the center with a small drill bit, go larger with the bit to remove as much of the snapped stud as possible.
Finish up with a GOOD easy out.
part of this is good, but you should make enough hole to put a reverse tap bit in it from sears, also use liquid wrench and soak it in there, when you make a small hole in the bolt, hammer in the bit and turn with a clamp or linemens or lock it on an right angle drill, good luck partner :twisted: