4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: help with traction
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:30 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I am in the process of reworking the body of my car to accept larger and wider tires for traction. While researching the factory offsets I have found some strange numbers and am confused as to my max backspacing. I have figures for the 13"(5w +46), 14"(5.5w +46), and both 15"(6w +45, 6.5w +41) factory wheels, but i question the accuracy of the information. The widest 15" offset calculates to 5.36" backspacing. That seems to be extreme especially when they say the tires size is a 205/50r15.

I searched for a few hours without success tonight trying to find an easy answer. Min. wheel diameter to clear 5lug expo setup? What it the max backspacing before things begin to rub? I need to order wheels and tires in order to fab up my flares.... Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: help with traction
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 am 
The Silent Administrator

There were no 15" options for these cars, from 1989 -1992 in the 3G platform. Only 13 and 14", steel and aluminum.

That said, yes you can put 15" and up, in place of the smaller sizes. Galant 15" rims are a popular choice to keep weight down and maintain period correctness.

E39A wheels I have used in conjunction with Galant front rotor made non-captive on stock 3G CSM knuckles, and a spacer set to utilize Wilwoods and maintain a hub centric fitment.

Build the Expo/RVR on the site I list and you should be able to determine the minimum wheel size that the vehicle came with if that isn't already listed in the Expo/Van forum section.

I only see 14 and 15" factory options listed.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubishi/rvr/1991/

The Mitsu's of this era used a fairly high positive offset, as to most FWD vehicles. My Subaru rims push into the +50mm offset, whereas Mitsu had +40 to +46 just from what I have seen recently.

The site I listed should give a general idea on scrub also, as you change the offset of the wheel and tire size, you will change the dynamics of the suspension as it travels straight and as it corners left or right.

Use the comparison tool to get a feel for that part.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 am 
The Silent Administrator

There were no 15" options for these cars, from 1989 -1992 in the 3G platform. Only 13 and 14", steel and aluminum.

That said, yes you can put 15" and up, in place of the smaller sizes. Galant 15" rims are a popular choice to keep weight down and maintain period correctness.

E39A wheels I have used in conjunction with Galant front rotor made non-captive on stock 3G CSM knuckles, and a spacer set to utilize Wilwoods and maintain a hub centric fitment.

Build the Expo/RVR on the site I list and you should be able to determine the minimum wheel size that the vehicle came with if that isn't already listed in the Expo/Van forum section.

The Mitsu's of this era used a fairly high positive offset, as to most FWD vehicles. My Subaru rims push into the +50mm offset, whereas Mitsu had +40 to +46 just from what I have seen recently.

The site I listed should give a general idea on scrub also, as you change the offset of the wheel and tire size, you will change the dynamics of the suspension as it travels straight and as it corners left or right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:

Thank you for the input, ill check it out. My goal is to maintain the same spacing from the frame to inside rim while adding overall width to the wheel. By doing so I hope to maintain the suspension geometry, prevent rubbing on full cut, while still adding enough rubber to hold the additional power. This may be unreasonable and require a sacrifice of one of the three. I have plenty of time before this is decision will be holding up my overall progress.
I am running the expo knuckles and elantra control arms to utilize the dsm axles and swap to 5 lug. But this also opens up more options for brakes. I am going to run factory dsm parts for the time being but wanted to have a large enough barrel to clear potential upgrades down the road. For what it may cost me for a custom set of wheels I would like to plan for the future during the initial purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm 
The Silent Administrator

https://www.wheel-size.com/ has one of the best online comparison features and you can build side by side to see results and changes.