4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:30 pm 

Ok so I went to replace pads and rotos and guide pin snapped off. :evil: Ordered loaded calipers from rockauto, has calipers, pads, and bridge for less then pepboys and was same shipping time. Now the problem is the parts i ordered are not a match to my stock stuff. I believe i got calipers from a 1.6 sedan? Pads are about a .5" longer then stock. I also have have rotors from a previous order that are bigger then stock also. So can I swap my setup to the bigger parts or do i need more parts?

1994 Isuzu Pickup 3.2 V6 swapped 5spd

1988 Isuzu Pickup LS 2.6 5spd. Frame rot, hacked to pieces and scrapped

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The guide pin is pretty much the same on this generation of Mitsu products and is likely very similar on Mazda's too.

Get the required pin, and have the old one removed.

You likely have parts that are designed for the 266mm turbo/sedan front brake setup.

Install only those parts that are supposed to fit the 1.5L solid front rotor.

Your options could include getting parts more local to you, you just have to know the parts numbers that they are sourcing.

ASA online via partsbase.org will give you the Mitsu numbers to cross reference.

Also, looking up the brake files for the 89-92 CSM's at lilevo.com will give you the industry brake part number also.

I just noticed that you likely have the parts to upgrade the entire front brake system minus the hydraulic master cylinder.

If you remove the solid front rotor, and install the vented front rotor (measure to make sure it something like 266mm), then you have to install the turbo calipers, pads, brackets, AND the larger brake master cylinder designed for the turbo cars. You could say that it would work without the master cylinder, BUT the brake pressure/contact variables will have changed, and it may not be beneficial until you install matching hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:17 pm 

Quote:

I just noticed that you likely have the parts to upgrade the entire front brake system minus the hydraulic master cylinder.

If you remove the solid front rotor, and install the vented front rotor (measure to make sure it something like 266mm), then you have to install the turbo calipers, pads, brackets, AND the larger brake master cylinder designed for the turbo cars. You could say that it would work without the master cylinder, BUT the brake pressure/contact variables will have changed, and it may not be beneficial until you install matching hardware.
The bigger front rotors i have are solid rotors, i cant find any info on these parts to see size/specs. Im trying to figure if these rotors and calipers belong together and if so will the caliper bridge/bracket bolt to my stock spindle. If so I can run these brakes so that i can at least drive and then ill get a master cylinder also.

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0802431 - rotors
AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES 4052067 - caliper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 am 
The Silent Administrator

The front rotors are something like 234-238mm IIRC.

Anything larger in diameter will likely cause the rotor to hit the bracket/saddle when it is bolted back on.

Google te part numbers for specs, or usually there is a tab on rockauto's site next to each part for further information, like dimensions (diameter).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 pm 

So far the calipers I bought are equivelant to OEM part # MB699574. Which states it fits EAGLE SUMMIT 1.5L I4 SOHC 12V SMPI, 5-Speed Manual T850 3 DOOR and EAGLE SUMMIT 1.5L I4 SOHC 12V SMPI, All 4-Speed Automatics 3 DOOR.

According to this 5 speeds and automatics had bigger brakes then 4 speeds

Also the rotors are equivelant to OEM part # MB618737

Now i cant tell if these 2 parts are meant to be used together or not. Also if the caliper brackets will bolt to my spindles or not.

thanks for any and all help

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:55 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Sounds like the catalogue needs a rework.

Here is what I know of brakes on 89-92 Mirages, Colt 200's and Summits.

Base model CSM's and higher trim level GT's all had small solid/non-vented front rotors, 238mm? and rear drums (hubs/tapered bearings integrated into the drum setup, later models having hubs an drums separate).

The models that were the exceptions, are as follows:

Sedans had a larger brake option, 266mm vented front rotors and disc brake rear.
Summits GS sedans were one of those option.
In fact Summits were the main sedan to get higher trim levels than even GT hatches, because they did not receive a turbocharged motor option for the 4g61.
Plymouth/Dodge Colt 200 GT turbo hatchbacks received 266mm vented front rotors and rear disc brakes.

So, in summation, you likely have a C52A base model hatch (GT trim, sticker package decals, or not), that has base solid front rotors and drums brake rears.

The site talking about transmission options is irrelevant mostly.
I can't tell you what was setup in the 4 speed cable operates cars, or if there were version of hydro and cable for both the four an five speed manual gearboxes, but with a VIN for a Mirage, you can decode the factory part number for your rotors and calipers.

Partsbase.org - build a 1989-92 Mirage, base Federal model 1.5L and see what parts come up under the braking section.
I know we have online ASA links somewhere in the "Manuals" sticky, likely in the general discussion forum.

For reference, type in those part numbers you got at the partsbase.org site.
Any applicable model will show up, and it will tell you genuinely which model that number should fit.

There should only be one model of base front brakes ... should be, there were slight variation through model runs, that always bite somebody in the butt.

I could tell you more but this was written on my phone. = less than capable multitasking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 pm 

That site helped out alot, thanks Flying Eagle. Apparently i have sedan calipers sitting here. Now which rotors do i need to work with them? Also which master cylinder would i also need to get the full effect of the bigger brakes? thanks!