I decided it would be a good idea to compile an as complete as possible list of Mitsubishi engine codes. This way when someone asks, "What the heck is a 4Gxx?", we might actually have an answer. As of yet I don't know how extensive the info on each motor should be, so I'm open to suggestions. I also don't know if I want to list every possible variant of each motor, since something like the 4G63 has a lengthy list. The list will be far from complete from the get go, so please feel free to post a motor and all the info you know. Also, feel free to correct any erronious info, just don't get offended when it gets deleted after I use it.
For Starters: Reading Mitsubishi Engine Codes.
Here's a breakdown on what some of the engine codes look like and mean.
4G61T (1.6L I4 turbo motor in the Colt/Mirage turbo)
4 = 4-cylinder
G = Gasoline, Iron Block. (D = Diesel ie 4D65)
6 = Engine Series
1 = Engine Model (Doesn't equate to capacity, as a higher number can belong to a lesser cc'd engine.)
T = Turbo (This is more of an adopted addition to the engine codes, rather than an official part of it. The official way Mistubishi will list the motor is "4G61 Turbo".)
6A13TT (2.5L V6 twin-turbo motor in the Galant/Legnum VR-4)
6 = 6-cylinder
A = Gasoline, Aluminum block
1 = Engine Series
3 = Engine Model
Mitsubishi Engine Code Reference Chart
- 2.3L. Found in Galant 2.3 TD (A167) as well as Pajero (Shogun) 2.3 TD
- 2.5L. Used in Pajero (Shogun) 2.5 TD (L049G)
- 1.8L. Found in Galant 1.8 TD (E34A)
- 2.0L, 1998cc
- 1.2L, 1244cc
- 1.4L, 1410cc
- 1.3L, 1248cc
- 1.5L, 1468cc
- 1.2L, 1198cc
- 1.6L, 1583cc
- 1.3L, 1298cc
- 1.5L, 1499cc
- 1.6L, 1597cc
- 1.4L, 1439cc
- 1.7L, 1686cc
- 1.2L, 1238cc
- 1.8L, 1755cc
- 1.4L, 1378cc
- 1.2L, 1187cc
- 1.9L, 1855cc
- 2.0L, 1995cc
- 2.4L, 2384cc
- 2.6L, 2555cc
- 1.6L, 1597cc. Came available with turbo and naturally aspirated versions. Most are DOHC, but apparently SOHC versions were used.
- 1.8L, 1795cc
- 2.0L, 1997cc. Came available with turbo and naturally aspirated versions. Most are DOHC, but apparently SOHC versions were used.
- 2.4L. Mostly available as a SOHC, there are DOHC versions available.
- 1.8L, 1836cc
- 2.4L. Motor is a SOHC MIVEC
- 1.6L, 1597cc. Known commonly for it's DOHC MIVEC version used in the Mirage.
- 1.8L, 1834cc. Available as a non-turbo SOCH and DOHC. DOHC turbo version was available in '92+ Lancer GSR.
- 2.0L. Newer SOHC motor used in the Lancer.
- 2.0L. Mostly known to be a DOHC MIVEC used in the FTO. Was also availabe in a twin-turbo version in the early 7G Galant VR-4's.
- 2.5L. Was commonly a DOHC twin-turbo motor used in the more modern 7G and 8G Galant VR-4's.
- 2.0L, 1998cc. Only known variant is SOHC and supercharged.
- 3.0L, 2972cc. This motor came in various forms, including SOHC and DOHC naturally aspirated versions. A DOHC twin-turbo version was also available in the 3000GT/GTO VR-4.
- 2.5L, 2497cc. Available naturally aspirated in SOHC and DOHC form.
- 3.5L. Available naturally aspirated in SOHC and DOHC form.
- 3.8L. Available naturally aspirated in SOHC and DOHC form.
- 1.5L SOHC 12v Carb found in early Mirage and Precis.
- 1.6L. Came as a SOHC turbo.
- 2.6L. Found in early Montero and Truck.
- 1.8L. Came as a SOHC turbo.
- 2.0L. Came as a SOHC sometimes with turbo. Found in JDM Starion as well as the Cordia and Tredia.
- 2.4L. SOHC found on the early Galant and Expo.
If you're looking for a reference list of Hyundai Motor Codes and their Mitsubishi Equivelants, here's the link.