4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 

Has anyone put a 2.0L 4G63 head onto their 4G61 Block? If so, what kind of performance gains did you get, or did you lose performance with this mod. I have a 2.0l head just lying around, that just needs to be freshened up a bit. Also did you use the 2.0l cams or the original cams from the 1.6l? I believe the head is from a automatic car :sad: , so I might be looking for a apir of M/T cams on the trader soon. Thanks.

92 Dodge Stealth R/T TT
06 Mitsubishi Raider DuroCross V8

Post subject:
I moved this to the technical section where it'll get more visibility.

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

According to Jon Ripple at TRE its not a good idea. he said;
"DO NOT put a 4G63 head on the 1.6 You'll kill torque and it won't wake up before 5500 rpm."
in an old email he sent me.

heres the email.

I'm the guy you'll want to speak to about the Colts. I have owned 5 of the 89 Colt turbos, 6 of the 84-88 Colt turbos and have owned all together 23 Colts or Mirages. I've been driving them since 86 and know everything about them. Yes I might be crazy.
The 89 turbo that you own can be made very fast for cheap. The engine is bullet-proof even more so than the 4G63 engine in the DSMs. How so? Short stroke always stays together.
As for turbos go for a TDO5/14b/6cm unported. You will gain an instant 50HP by bolting this onto your car. No BS. It is the easiest HP maker than you can do. It will be way faster @ 12 psi when compared to the stock turbo maxed out. This turbo is good for 13.1@112mph on the cheap tires. With slicks probably 12.3 with ease. 16g?? I got them in stock and on the shelf. check out the website teamrip.com Exhaust manifold and O2 housing from a DSM will rock over the stock 4G61 manifold. O2 housings are different between the TDO4/11b/4cm and the TDO4/13g/5cm found on the auto DSM turbos. Forget that automatic turbo for it is a major piece of shit that will never earn its keep. Get a DSM throttle body for it's bigger and worth it. If you get one from 92 or later the TPS sensor off the Colt will have to be used. Wiring is different and you'll have to splice to make the new style work.
>>>Cylinder head. DO NOT put a 4G63 head on the 1.6 You'll kill torque and it won't wake up before 5500 rpm.<<< Major gain can be found by porting this head because the castings sucked. Cams? Use a 4G63 intake cam from a turbo engine. Set it straight up. Keep the Colt exhaust cam but retard it 4-6 degrees. This will allow the 1.6 to rev past 7000 with ease.
Injectors and pump- Don't go past 16psi on the stock stuff when you finally get the 14b turbo on the car. The injectors aren't big enough and you'll break pistons. Go for a DSM fuel pump but stay away from the Walbro pump unless you put a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on the rail. The DSM FP Reg can't bleed enough fuel off to keep pressure from going high at idle. This is why people have shitty idle with a huge pump.
Airmeter- Leave it alone!! The Colt's airmeter is calibrated very well. It may appear rich but this is because the exhaust is way too restrictive. If you are hitting fuel cut you are at the limit. No one make a real system but you can have one made for around 300 bucks and 3" fits great.
By now you're making enough power to run 14.3s and the clutch is slipping in 3rd or 4th. Don't run out and buy the Center-Junk. Get a FWD turbo DSM flywheel from a 1st Gen. Make sure it is the six bolt flywheel. Now you can use any heavy duty DSM clutch. Trans is bullet-proof. Good luck trying to break it.
Yes the 4G63 goes right in with ease but first see how fast you can go with the little 4G61.

Post subject:

Wow,
A lot of info, thanks for the post. Ah well it looks like I'll just go ahead and not do anything major to the car until I do the 4G63 swap, which should be coming soon..once someone buys my Talon, or what's left of it.

92 Dodge Stealth R/T TT
06 Mitsubishi Raider DuroCross V8

Post subject:

My car went 13.3 at 105 mph on nittos with a 4g61 block, 4g63 head, intake, and throttle body. I noticed very little bottom end loss with a little gain up top.

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

Ripple used to post on the old SE.DSM board before it was shut down. He did have alot of good input/experience. I wonder if he is aware of this site. His E-mail raises a couple of questions. Keeping the stock exhaust cam and useing the DSM intake cam. I thought the opposite was recomended. Now I am tempted to just retard my stock exhaust cam 1 tooth and see what happens. Also the comment about needing a new fuel pressure regulator with the walbro pump. Wouldn't the same apply with the supra pump. And finally the 1g TB, is anyone useing one with the 1.6. Greg

Post subject:

I think Nathan Parr had a 4G63 T/B on his car when he had the 1.6 in. I have one waiting to be put in. & I already bought the 4G63t Ex-cam waiting to be put in aswell. retarding this one tooth will be 7.something degrees right? so how would you retard the intake cam 4-6º? adjustable cam $$gear$$?
does anyone think doing both of these intake & exhaust cam mods on my 1.6 w/small 16G will be a good idea?

-vic

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

How different are the two heads?

Post subject:

[quote:1e0a7vc2]
On 2001-12-16 20:14, MIRAGEDOHCTURBO wrote:
I think Nathan Parr had a 4G63 T/B on his car when he had the 1.6 in. I have one waiting to be put in. & I already bought the 4G63t Ex-cam waiting to be put in aswell. retarding this one tooth will be 7.something degrees right? so how would you retard the intake cam 4-6º? adjustable cam $$gear$$?
does anyone think doing both of these intake & exhaust cam mods on my 1.6 w/small 16G will be a good idea?

-vic

[/quote:1e0a7vc2]

Nate never had a M/C with the 1.6 engine.

I used a 2.0 throttle body when I had my 1.6. I didn't really notice a difference though. However, I also didn't port match the intake manifold either.

Post subject:
Some call me a god

does anyone happen to have ripples email???

Ive got some questions for him on the 84-88 colt. That is still my favourite colt.

Post subject:
CSM Expert

I was under the impression that all the 4G6xB motors used the same head regardless of capacity. My 1.6L head off a NA Hyundai Lantra is a 1G 'big-port'. Put it next to an early 2.0L VR4 head and they are identical.

Post subject:

I will guarantee that the 2.0 head is different compared to the 1.6.

This "VR4" head that you have...what does it say on the side of it? Is it a 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0?

You say early, are you talking about like an 88 GVR4?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben K on 2002-01-22 10:54 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:32 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The final outcome of this post is this:

2.0L head has a larger combustion chamber regardless of the intake/exhaust tracts being larger in circumference. You will drop your compression into unusable levels.

1.8L heads of the G4CS variety (DOHC 2.4L motor) have the same CC combustion chamber volume as the 1.6L turbo heads, thus they can be swapped on to gain the larger intake/exhaust ports and then mated to the larger T/E/L (Talon/Eclipse/Laser) parts. :wink: