4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:48 pm 

We will be competing in the Colorado Hill Climb Associations first event of the season this weekend in Canon City, CO. This event is held on a gnarly 3 mile climb up Temple Canyon. The scariest looking corner is an off camber about 70 degree right that is right after a somewhat long straight and drops right into a big ass ravine. It should be an exciting event if anybody is in Colorado and wants to see some good racing. The Colt is all ready despite all of the recent problems. First I broke a bolt that mounted the rear shock to the control arm on the drivers side. Since the shocks are not made for this car I went ahead and got new bolts that were the right size and drilled out the hole to eliminate the rattle I had from the rear. When I put the shocks back on my dumb ass wasn't paying attention and put them on too close and the shock body was rubbing on the shell. Next I took the skid plate off to change the oil and discovered a broken tranny mount, split crossmember, and some leaking oil lines. Welded the crossmember and welded a piece of flat stock across it to give additional support. Fixed the oil lines and have decided to let the tranny mount go until after this weekend. We've already raced on it like that for well over 200 miles so what's a few more gonna hurt. Also discovered bad bushings on the front sway bar to strut bar and a split strut bar. Also being left alone though until after this event. Anyhow if anybody comes out make sure and come by and say hey.

1992 Subaru Legacy 200K miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:02 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Good luck! Can't wait to see the writeup when it's over.

Remember, getting these problems out of the way now means you won't face them at 80 MPH while sideways on gravel. :P

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:51 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

damn...wish i had seen this thread a couple weeks ago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:10 pm 

That event went great. We took second place in our class and third place overall. Also recorded the fastest out time into the first corner. They had a radar set up at the first long straight. We were hitting around 80. The Unlimited Class Open Wheel cars were getting into the 120s. The radar followed the car into the first corner and recorded the speed you were going through the first corner and when you disappeared. The corner was neutral camber a little more than 90 degrees, maybe 100 degree left. The fastest car of the weekend was a 700 hp 1600 lb. Open wheel car at 80 mph through the corner. The fastest AWD rally car was at 59. We went through at 70. My codriver kept repeating the call and was like, shit man, you scared me a little in that first corner.

There is another hill climb next weekend (June 5, 6) in Monarch. The Colt is down due to a small engine problem that I don't have the money to fix right now so we are going to be driving the Talon and Steve (my codriver) and I will switch seats since it is his rally car. Should be a good event. 9000-13000 feet in 2.2 miles.

1992 Subaru Legacy 200K miles