4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: A-Arm Braces
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:51 am 
CSM Expert

I was at my local wreker today I saw a 1G Elantra I was looking for an other coll stuff that would fit the colt I found something the colt DOES NOT have (even the turbo models I think) that it is is a brace that runs from the front mount of the A arm and ties into the frame rail just behind the bumper rebar just as sanity I went to te colt section of the yard and we don't have it although it appears that we have all the mounting points already (it bolts on its not a weld on) I didn't grab the braces just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about and how do you think this would effect handling on the colt? I think this is sort of racing related so I thought I'd post it here. I might come and pull these next weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:24 pm 
CSM Expert

Just to update I went back and pulled the brace from an elantra it turns out it is only on the drivers side. But one thing I notice they looks to use a near to identical A arm to a colt EXCEPT they used a bolt on ball joint not a press in ball joint a way better design than the colts I must say a appears to be a good upgrade from colt parts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

Very Intrested, I have been doing the same thing mix and matching parts to help eleviate some of the probleams or things I dislike. Like the front brakes on the C50 Colt don't like that set up at all so using 93+ 1.8l Hubs that have the 4X100 bolt pattern, as many know most hondas use the 4X100 bolt pattern which makes rims selection much easier (in my case used Rims/Slicks for Drag Racing). Did you happen to pull the A-Arms? a Bolt in ball joint is much nicer. The brace you refered too sounds like a cheap traction bar for those who are intrested in Drag racing, how hard would it be to adapt it to work on the pass side? This Forum is quickly becoming my favorite forum people here are still being creative and trying new things, not coping everything they have already seen like most other cars out there. If you get teh brac eon if you have a second snap a Pic I would greatly appreciate it,
Corey

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T
www.ongreenperformance.com
"Just like in the old days-More Horse Power means more crap to pick up-lol"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:44 pm 
CSM Expert

Quote:
Very Intrested, I have been doing the same thing mix and matching parts to help eleviate some of the probleams or things I dislike. Like the front brakes on the C50 Colt don't like that set up at all so using 93+ 1.8l Hubs that have the 4X100 bolt pattern, as many know most hondas use the 4X100 bolt pattern which makes rims selection much easier (in my case used Rims/Slicks for Drag Racing).
How do the hubs work? do they create bumpsteer? how did you mount the tie rod end? on the top or bottom? If it were me I'd use those knuckles and some how get it converted back to 4x114.3 so I can continue to run my OZ racing rims
Quote:
Did you happen to pull the A-Arms? a Bolt in ball joint is much nicer.
No I didn't pull the A arms today I had somewhere else I should have been and not at the wrecker so I had to keep the trip short but like everything else on an elantra I can pretty much guarentee it will fit the rest of the suspension is identical to a colt if you refer to the KYB catalog they even use identical p/n for the elantra and colt (for struts) so that tells you something the Elantra simply is a Colt sedan with different skin. many of the upgrades I quoted in the 4g15 archives are elantra based... I will be pulling a set for my beater colt and using a set of turbo control arms for my project car...

Quote:
The brace you refered too sounds like a cheap traction bar for those who are intrested in Drag racing, how hard would it be to adapt it to work on the pass side?
It would be a bit hard you could definetly FAB something with out too much problems the issue is that the tranny is slightly in the way I'll snap some before and after pics of the bar on the car to illustrate it...
Quote:
This Forum is quickly becoming my favorite forum people here are still being creative and trying new things, not coping everything they have already seen like most other cars out there.
Your right this forum rocks! There are tonnes of really bright people here the thing thats really funny is there are colts doing every sort of motor sports there is you have a few rally cars, lots of strightline stuff there is a few auto x and track only cars and we even have one oval racer... Lots of different setups there are quite a few people here that work really hard to make this car great as possible and when there is no parts made for this car the only thing we really can do is improvise.
Quote:
If you get teh brac eon if you have a second snap a Pic I would greatly appreciate it,
Corey
No problem I will post it on this thread for all to see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:52 pm 
CSM Expert

Ok so I got under the car to size up the bracket tonite... The holes in my cassis are a slight bit off But nothing that can't be drilled and tapped mind you.... but here is a before and a me holding the bracket shot hope it illustrates things better

before

http://www.heckatomb.com/modules.php?se ... _photo.php

me holding the bracket

http://www.heckatomb.com/modules.php?se ... _photo.php

Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:55 pm 

Thats really cool. thanks for the pics!! I was thinking about something along those lines for the rally car, but nothing really junped out as a great idea.

GOOD FIND!!!!!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:29 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
How do the hubs work? do they create bumpsteer? how did you mount the tie rod end? on the top or bottom? If it were me I'd use those knuckles and some how get it converted back to 4x114.3 so I can continue to run my OZ racing rims
Worked Great for now basically bolt right in, its a Project car so it yet to see the actualy street in theory everything looks okay, cars been dropped over 2" with coil-over suspension so the camber and the like is adjustable to compensate. Tie Rod ends are on the top. If you use the Galant VR-4 Hubs they are 4X114.3 and dual piston brake calipers, so are early regular galants 89-92 I believe, but only single piston, good for those drag racers who want light. Looked it up for Brads car because he did not want to get new rims and slicks but wanted a better brake set-up.
Quote:
It would be a bit hard you could definetly FAB something with out too much problems the issue is that the tranny is slightly in the way I'll snap some before and after pics of the bar on the car to illustrate it...
Yea I will be looking to see it if I can do it only having to make a few brackets and such. Trying to keep her looking stock Fabing something up is not a big deal but when it gets too much time, better off just making something from tubing.

Quote:
like everything else on an elantra I can pretty much guarentee it will fit the rest of the suspension is identical to a colt
Yea gotta love the old elantras, no one wants parts from them cuase they think they are junk, but if I see one more person crying about not being able to find Motor Mounts for a swap I am gonna scream. Half the parts for all the cars I have done have come from an elantra. Thanx for the pics much appreciated.

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:37 am 
Some call me a god

wow, that brace is a monster, i thought it was a little thin piece of stamped steel, finally something to fill in that big empty spot.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:39 pm 
CSM Expert

Well I went back and pulled the A arms from the elantra from what I can tell they use a front turbo bushing and a rear 4g15 bushing and again they have a bolt on ball joint but the geometry are identical to 4g15 or Mirage turbo units very positive I'll sandblast them paint them and they will be put on to my Project car. I think I'll be placing an order to pedders for a set of poly bushings for the car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Was at the junk yard the other day and saw that Brace, and Monster is underrated, That thing is big. Saw tha A-Arms too, they look good. And I think the brake setup would work better then the 93+ 1.8 Mirage Arms. Also looking for something that might have a rear disc brake set-up that will bolt on I think I saw a early sedan that had that set-up but it was getting late in the day and I needed to get to the machine shop. Let us know if the A-arms works.

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:32 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Anything ever come of this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:57 am 
CSM Expert

Yes the control arms work. I have them on the project car with poly bushings. The A arm brace fits fine just have to drill and tap a couple holes in the frame rail. no biggie...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:45 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

What are the main benifets of this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:14 pm 
CSM Expert

The A Arms have a bolt in Ball joint = Big Bonus

The Bracket keeps that mount from moving and twisting during cornering etc.