4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:47 am 

Well my rally colt is nearing completion. We have repainted the interior, put on new mudflaps, wired the old terratrip and a new terraphone, as well as a behind seats camera and an on bumper camera. We have a few little things left to do and the car will be done. Here's the fun info:

Engine 1.6L Intercooled turbo ~12 lbs of boost
4 speed w/ 2 ratios per gear (Power/Economy) Transmission
Locked Front Differential
Bilstein Shocks
Kumho R700 Rally Tires
Terratrip Computer and Terraphone intercom
Momo Acropolis seats
Momo Mod 07 steering wheel to go in soon
Estimated weight ~2000 lbs
Estimated horsepower ~180whp (this is what I was told it dyno'd at by old owner. When I have some extra money I'll check it out myself)
New cage built and designed by Brian Moody from Champagne Motorsports (best cage design and construction in the Rocky Mountain States by far)
Anyhow, here are some pictures. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. We are going to be going to 100 Acre Woods Club Rally next weekend in Salem, Missouri. I'll post some pics and stuff afterward.

With Primer, before new interior Paint
http://www.hugheshometheater.com/images ... geBack.JPG
http://www.hugheshometheater.com/images ... geRoof.JPG

Definite Necessity when working in garge until past midnight for a week straight
http://www.hugheshometheater.com/images ... Excess.JPG

Starting to get a bit ridiculous with only a one car garage.
http://www.hugheshometheater.com/images/rally/Tires.JPG

1992 Subaru Legacy 200K miles

Last edited by grant on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:53 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Locked Center Differential
Did you convert it to 4WD?

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:58 am 

Whoops. Meant locked front diff. I have a fuel cell in the spare tire compartment so wouldn't have any room for AWD. I have considered trying to build my parts car into a 4G63T AWD hill climb car. That would be a fun car to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:54 am 

So here's how our first event went. Me driving, Steve Bis co-driving, Mike Kilpatrick and Mark Malsom service

Day 0
We arrived in Salem at about 8 am after driving all night. None of us have slept for more than an hour but we need to get the car fixed as the new oil lines to the oil cooler are leaking slightly and we are scheduled for tech at 12. We find all kinds of "interesting" people at a few different auto parts and hardware stores trying to find the right fittings and finally come up with a good solution and fix it in a church parking lot. We left the hotel for tech and reg. at 11:55. Tech went well but we couldn't run the practive stage as my suit was borrowed from Ron and he wasn't due in until late. We did drive out to check it out and do an odo check and cal. and to test all the systems in the car. We eat dinner, drink a beer, go to rally school, drink a couple more beers, and go to bed early.
Day 1
Trespasser's Wil Stage 1 went well. We started conservative but started pushing hard at the last half of the stage. I made it about mid way through 4th gear and was driving right around 70-75 midway through. Went into Stage 2, a 10 mile car breaker with 39 notes and 11 cautions, with a great feeling and some more confidence (I only had about 5 miles of dirt driving in the car before this event) in the car. We were pushing good but 2.3 miles into the stage coming into a 3 right we simultaneously hit a large rock on the front right wheel and saw, a Production Eclipse, wrecked into a tree and slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting them. Unfortunately, thanks to the rock we hit we slid into a tree stump as well and did some pretty good cosmetic damage. We were able to drive out of the stage but lost the oil pressure gauge due to a pinched oil line and were also running hot due to less oil circulation and the radiator fan was not working anymore after being pushed into the motor mount and wastegate. We decided to retire enroute to stage 4 in order to not risk any engine damage. We left the car and hitched a ride back to service and eventually found our crew, drove back to Salem to get the dolly then back to Ellington to pick up the car. We finally got back to the hotel around 11:30-12:00 and quickly got to work. Dennis Martin's crew came and watched over us and let us borrow their work lamps and another extension cord which was greatly appreciated. We tried to fix the fan and Mike ended up having the idea to remount the fan in front of the radiator and just reverse the polarity which vibrated badly and made a horrible noise but worked beautifully. I ran a new oil line to the oil cooler to replace the pinched line, and all four of us worked to get the bumper kinda close to straight. We ended up using the back of the colt and the combined weight of us all to get it back close then had a hell of a time getting the mounting points to match up. We finally got it back on and decided to call it quits after we redrilled the mounting point on the light bar at about 4:30-4:45 am.
Day 2:
I've got about 2 and a half hours of sleep but have to have the car re-teched at 8 am and be at Parc Expose by 10 and still have to replace the oil filter. Quick trip to Wal Mart, then tech then off to the start. Parc Expose was awesome with lots of really enthusiastic people. The people in Salem are a generally good group of people and seemed excited about every car there. They even had an interviewer at the start line with Miss Missouri and Miss Salem there to start everybody off. Stage 1 I drove like a wuss. I didn't want to have an off and wanted to complete the rally more than anything. The car behind caught us so we moved to the very last car on the road for the start of stage 2. Stage 2 was 18 miles long and was fast and fun. I started pushing a little harder at this stage and kept the pace increasing until the end when we started to have some misfire in the engine. First service we found a loose plug wire and tried to fix it. The spares I thought I had ended up being some old shit wires that had been kept. I had never looked in the box though. We get back out and stage 3 and 4 go well, some misfire but not to horrible. 2 service we haul ass so Mike and Mark can get to the spectator stage and we are done in less then 10 minutes. The last 3 stages are all night stages so I'm a little anxious and really damn tired. Stage 5 gets cancelled due to a redneck with a shotgun driving through the tape and almost wrecking into the 0 car. Stage 6 and 7 go well despite the fact we are overheating and the misfire is to the point of constant under WOT so I have to ease into boost and feel really slow. There were some really fun rough parts on stage 7 and for the engine problems I was very happy with our times. All in all a fun and interesting first rally. We went to the afterparty then back to the room where everybody else passed out from exhaustion while I went out and drank a few beers with a few of the other teams outside the hotel.

All in all well worth the haul out there and the expense. I'll definitely go again next year if I can. If they had an Star of the Rally award I would give it to Mike Kilpatrick, Mark Malsom, and Steve Bis for helping me rebuild the car after the wreck and keeping good attitudes throughout the whole weekend and helping me to finish my first event right where I had been shooting for. First car above the DNFs. Thanks also to Ron and Rupert for letting us borrow their suits and to Mark M. and Pete M. for their support and advice.

Had to remove pics. I'll tell why later.

Last edited by grant on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:13 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Damn man that sounds like you had a blast. Wish I could have been there.

Very nice write up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:23 am 

Thanks.

Last edited by grant on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

PBR!!!!!!!! Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

Wow, A little more than we usually get. Nice write up and pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:08 am 
CSM Expert

That Colt is nice! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:53 am 
Restricted Newbie

Why wer the pics removed? I wanna see them. I agree, nice write-up and congrats. on your first successfull rally.

Rally has got to be the craziest, most involved and skilled driving sport on the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:35 am 

Here's where the pics are now.
http://www.hugheshometheater.com/Photos/Rally/100AW/

I took them down so that SportsCar would have some options for pictures. They ended up using a totally different one. I kind of wished they'd used the picture of me hitting on Miss Missouri at the start line but oh well. She was hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:23 am 
Banned for being a dick

I love the pics, more power to you!!! Wish I had a car to spare and a rally circuit to join. :wink: Looks like fun!

Post subject: Blah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:20 pm 

I find it hard to believe that there is much more messed up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:10 pm 

Luckily I have a full parts car so the car is looking good again. I broke the front motor mount and broke the oil pressure sender and the radiator fan, but other than that it was fine. The beauty of pure steel. People ask me why I have such and old car and my response is, "So I can stuff it into a tree and be able to drive it away."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

Great story great pics--Thanx

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T
www.ongreenperformance.com
"Just like in the old days-More Horse Power means more crap to pick up-lol"