4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:42 am 

The firrst thing i do with any car is slowly lear the car itsself i dont try to push it all i do is start with a road that i know well and have drive MANY TIMES befor then go +5 mph over then another +5 ect ect til i get more and more comfortable with the car then ill try with other roads corners ect. i think it takes more hands on pratice than anything elese but a bit of reading caint hurt also if you have someone who has FWD driving expreience tag along and obverve the way they drive gas and brake also

Pat

91 Celica
http://members.sounddomain.com/gage1
http://community.webshots.com/user/miragegt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:33 pm 
CSM Expert

Thanks dudes, you gave me a helluva lot of input! Yeap, in Germany, we get snow. It snowed here a week ago, but now it's sunny. Did a few spins on that parking lot. The Colt can oversteer nicely in snow. Especially after understeer... :D Must have been because of the unpredictable mixture of snow and water which made driving faster than 10 km/h insecure.
A parking lot autox track sounds promising, I'll see what I can do about that. :wink: I will also ask my buddies, some of them are autoxers. And I'll upgrade my tires. Man do they suck! :lol:

Post subject: Re: FwD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
OK.. My 2cents worth. I race these little FwD jobbers at an asphalt oval track. We have to corners that flow nicely, then we have 2 corners that aere almost a 90degree. Now, setup is a very good thing, but if the driver can not drive the car with a stock setup, the car will not be anygood to a driver with a "race" setup. The car is only as good as the person behind the wheel. Before You mod any of the handleing stuff, I also reccomend practice. You where saying that you have empty parking lots... well get your self a make-shift trtack set up. Use cones to set up the lay-out of the track. Almost like a autoX track, rights, lefts, stright aways, u turns..and what not. I see youe live in germany...does your location get snow? If so practice in the snow, you might spin out alot, but if you can some-what sontrol the car in the snow...dry roads will not be a problem. But the best thing i can say is.. if you don't have the track, or can't make 1.. I myself use racing video games to help with my driving....most of the new games have the same physics in the game as the cars do on the road. This is only a little like really driving, but it helps get ideas on how to drive, with out having to replace your car, or spending a week in the hospital. If u get out of control on the game.. it's just a game...this sounds sad, but it is true.. the next best thing to driving.. is a simulation video game.
I definitely agree with pretty much all that is said here. Even though it's only two dimentional a realistic video game can teach you a lot. I just got Colin McRea Rally 3 and it's a hell of a game, some things I do not agree with but nonetheless you can learn a few things from it.

Does anyone remember "Side Pocket" for Nintendo? I learned the basics for playing pool and especially how to cut a ball from this game. Honestly.

But nothing is better than hands on experience. Have you ever been explained how to do something, and think you can do it with ease, but when you actually try it you find out you've got a lot to learn? Just like that. That book seems like a great starting point, with practice to follow up each chapter's lesson.

Good luck and be careful. Somtimes it takes desire to awaken a sleeping skill.