4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:18 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I'm interested in setting up my 89 Colt GT non turbo for enduro racing. Does anyone here do this, and if so is the Colt a good platform? I know that the car needs to be naturally aspirated, but are engine swaps legal? 4G64 possibly? The rules say I need to run a "stock style" exhaust, but can I run a 3"er with a header and high flow cat? What about engine mods? I'd hate to sink all kinds of money into a sick engine and not make it out of tech inspection! Any suggestions for tires? (must use stock 13, or 14" STEEL wheels, 65 series min tire) Should I invest in aluminum bumpers, or are they not safe for circle track racing? Finally, does anyone out there know where I can get an inexpensive four point roll bar? I don't need a full cage. Should I keep my stock windshield, or toss it in favor of steel mesh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:22 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I'm going to have to say that the Colt would probably be a poor choice for circle track racing. It's okay in road racing. As for the mods you can do, it all depends on the sanctioning body and the class you plan to run. You should be able to pick up a rule book and find out what's allowed. Personally I'd go road racing, or pick a RWD V8 car that's better suited for circle track racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

a v8 rwd is out of the question. The enduro class is reserved for fwd 4cyl imports and domestics. Actually, the most popular car is the Grand AM with the quad4. I picked up my Colt for $75.00 so I'm not worried about beating the poop out of it. The rules are at http://www.jennerstown.com It's $500.00 to race for the entire season, and I heard that it's a lot of fun. I'd like to get in on the action and be competitive if at all possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:43 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Well, the rules look pretty clear. Doesn't look like you can do any mods to enhance performance what so ever. I'd just get new shocks, and make sure all your bushings are in good order. The only thing I can see is you can maybe run without your air filter in place and your exhaust is free as long as it's not "too loud", whatever that is. Most sanctioning bodies post a dB limit. You can't do anything to the bumpers, so don't bother. And it looks like you do need to use a 6-point cage, hence the "A roll over hoop bar with forward down posts to the floor is mandatory with two 1 1/2" door bars on right side door and 1 on left side door." You can't have just a roll hoop without the rear supports. Plus, when it comes to safely, never compromise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:26 am 
I'd try to get away with running a 1.6L nonturbo engine since they were available in the mirages.

Then, gut the interior, remove all the emissions, ac, , and get a 2.25" exhaust from the engine back. Get a set of koni's and run them full stiff since you can't change springs. Bumpers have to remain stock, so you can't use the aluminum bumper. I'm betting you could get the weight of the car down to 1800-1900 lbs. Especially if you stick with the 1.5L engine and go to the tiny 4spd transmission.

Sounds like A LOT of fun! I'd go for it. If you find out that the car isn't competitive at least you will not have spent a lot of money on car prep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:16 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

You can't run aftermarket shocks. "No beefing up or replacing and suspension or steering parts with heavy-duty parts permitted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:02 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Is the 1.6l really that much more powerfull? My stock 1.5 is siezed up, so no matter what I'm going to have to replace it. What's the 4 speed out of? Most of the Colts/Mirages/Summits in the U-pull-it yard here are pretty good as far as parts go. There are even a few Hyundai's there that have similar set ups. Mine is an auto, but I got a shifter, linkages, master cyl, lines, clutch pedal assembly out of an eagle summit that should do the trick (If I go with the 5spd that is.) I know a lady who is willing to sell me an identicsl car to mine for $50.00, but it's totaled. I could yank the engine out of that car, but if the 1.6 is faster and more durable, I'll be willing to find and pay for one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:13 pm 
Quote:
You can't run aftermarket shocks. "No beefing up or replacing and suspension or steering parts with heavy-duty parts permitted."
I don't believe that is the intent of that rule. If you read that rule verbatim then you can only run shocks that you purchased at the dealership. I bet a set of those would cost more then most people pay for the cars that are in that class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:05 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Not really. Always they allow OEM replacements. Monroe or something like that. I'm fairly positive if he shows up with Koni Yellows he won't pass tech. Like alot of circle track stuff, the emphasis is on extreme low buck racing. Hence they don't want someone spending $500 on new performance shocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:11 pm 
Restricted Newbie

:o Let's not forget the $500.00 car claim rule either. If someone thinks I'm up to something fishy they can buy my car for $500.00 and have it torn apart for inspection. Loosing a car with $500.00 shocks on it would be a bummer :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:24 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Here's a thought. How about a 1.8l naturally aspirated motor? I could just tell the tech guy that I took the turbo off to run enduro. :twisted: Would an exhaust manifold from a 2.0 non-turbo fit? Did anyone use this setup stock? Didn't the old Hyundai Elantra have a 1.8l in it? I'm getting goose bumps! I'm going to start gutting the interior tomorrow after work if the weather holds out. Anyone need plastic stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:11 am 
CSM Expert

The Hyundai Lantra 1.8i came with the 4G67 engine. It is the same as the 4G63 NA except it has a smaller bore. I've never done it, though, but a 1G DSM NA exhman should bolt right up, because it is the same block.