4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:56 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I'm looking for suggestions on a setup for road racing a Mirage GS sedan in SCCA Improved Touring. Our tracks out here tend to be a bit bumpy and so they're not nearly as smooth as east coast tracks. The longer wheelbase of the sedan will come in handy here.

SCCA IT rules state that suspension mods are unlimited as long as stock mounting points are used, and coilovers don't have threads on the shock bodies. This means using Ground Controls or something similar.

My idea was to use adjustable Koni Yellows from the 1G AWD, and Ground Controls. I was also probably going to not bother adding a rear sway bar and stick with jmauld's set-up of using higher spring rates in the rear. Less weight, and the snap oversteer he was getting with the bar is NGA (No good, amigo). Off hand does anyone know what the inner diameter Eibach springs Ground Control uses? That will determine if I'm using the Eibach ERS or ESS spring systems. Any ideas on what main spring rates to go with? 500 lbs front, 700 lbs rear? If it's an ERS system, should I use tender springs as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:36 am 
Those spring rates are probably what you're going to want to end up with. The only problem is that Koni doesn't recommend anything over 500lbs with their shocks. At least with stock valving. You can probably have them revalved to handle the 700lb springs. With the extra length of the sedans you may want to even consider going higher in the rear.

I believe the GC's use a 2.5" ID spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:11 pm 
CSM Expert

thats the right ID size... as for spring rate I believe (although I have nothing concrete to back this up with) I say 450 front and 500 rear with MAX dampering turned up in the struts and why would you use 1G struts when 3G colts are made and fit right....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:14 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I wanted the 1G units cause they're already valved for a heavier car. I figured they'd be better suited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:22 pm 
CSM Expert

but the bodies are totally wrong I would say then use front 1G struts and rear Colt struts the fronts are merely inserts and both will bolt into either housing the rears between colts and talons are way too different and ont worth the problems they create especially on a track car.... worst case you revalve your rear colt struts to what you want...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:13 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

True if I need to get them revalved anyways. So there are Koni Yellows specifically for our car? :-? I didn't know that. I just saw them on DSS's site right now. I wonder how much revalving will cost.