4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: dead race tires
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:54 am 
Well, Tonya and I killed three race tires this weekend. One of them was corded so bad that it had about 2" long pieces of thread hanging from it.

We killed one tire on the front, so I pulled the two front tires off and moved the rear race tires to the front, and replaced the rears with street tires. I REALLY liked the way the car handled like this. It oversteered very predictably and suited my driving style better. I was able to knock off 1.7s from my previous best time with this setup.

Midway through the runs on Sunday, we were starting to cord the driver's side tires. Since the track was more abusive on that side, I swapped sides on the front and was able to make it through the weekend with those two race tires.

I'm still not driving fast enough to catch that freaking Dinan M3, and the Subaru STI. Those car are insanely quick. I think the mirage has it in her, I'm just not getting it out of her.

I'll try to get a picture of the one really bad tire tonight. I would've done it last night, but I don't think I had enough energy to unpack the car.

Oh yeah, I also put zip ties on my front struts and I found that even with 340lb springs on the front, with the car lowered about 1.5-2", I was STILL shoving the zip ties into the bumpstops. I now have the car sitting as high as it will go with the current springs.

Car's going on the jackstands soon. I have to finally fix this oil leak and I'm going to modify the front struts for more suspension travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:10 am 
CSM Expert

Are you cutting the bottom nub on the koni inserts to pick up that extra 1/2" of travel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:13 am 
I'm gonna try to. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:55 am 
CSM Expert

Yeah I'm going to do it but I think it will be best if I take mine to a machine shop that way I know they'll be a nice clean cut and will be even etc... Angle grinder wouldn't do a very good job :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:00 am 
I'm fairly sure that the hole in the strut housing needs to be drilled larger and the screw part on the koni will drop through that. Then you weld the housing to the bottom of the insert and cut off the excess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:35 am 
Some call me a god

about the tire thing, my friend was saying that his friends in japan put the as wide of a tire on teh front of thier car and run a few sizes narrower in the back, such as a 215 or 205 up front and a 185-195 out back. it makes the car handle much more predictably and quit understeering uncontrollably.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:37 am 
CSM Expert

I guess you could do that too I was reading in grass roots motorsports and they said what they did on their civic was just cut that nub shorter and used a shorter bolt ans mounted it the same way I don't know if I would want you weld in a srute cartridge i see it as a good way to start meling seals. But thats just me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:36 am 
That's why you weld on that nub instead of the cartridge itself. I haven't decided for certain that I'm going to do it. Just contemplating for now. Maybe I'll try the shorter bolt method.

I'll take pictures of whichever way I try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:38 pm 
woohoo! They just sent out the results. I was the 12th fastest out of 143 peeps! I'm glad to be driving somewhat decently now. Now it's time to get back on the top ten list! I haven't been there since I've autocrossed my old Talon, about three years ago... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:53 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Thats awesome, congrats on good racing. Its nice to hear about success after tons of effort.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO