4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: NHRA Rollbar rules...??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:14 pm 

Do they require a specific placement? The bar I have fits in location "1" on the rear floor. But I know most get placed in location "2" in the rear corner of the main floor. Do you see any saftey concerns in location "1"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:42 pm 
Some call me a god

NHRA states that the bar has to be welded to a plate (believe its 6x6), this plate must sandwich the floor of the car with another 6x6 plate, with 4 bolts 3/8'' thick. If the top plate is not sandwiching the floor panel, it must be welded to the frame/door sill (the vertical piece by location 1 that runs along the bottom of the door). I think the plate needs to be minimum 10 gauge steel.

Just going from my memory here, the book is in my garage. I have been building my cage myself so most of it is still fresh in my head. Someone else with a book might be able to quote it word for word.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 am 
Some call me a god

"Cars without frame use 6'' square 1/8'' steel plates on top and bottom of floor, securely bolted together with at least four 3/8'' bolts or top plate welded to rocker sill."

- 2008 NHRA Rule book, page 76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 pm 

Quote:
"Cars without frame use 6'' square 1/8'' steel plates on top and bottom of floor, securely bolted together with at least four 3/8'' bolts or top plate welded to rocker sill."

- 2008 NHRA Rule book, page 76

Nice. Thanks! I think Ill go with location #1 since that is the inner rocker structure. Oh and BTW Im using a 1g DSM 6pt kit I picked up for less than $300... The rollbar fits perfectly if I use location #1. This is goin in a 89 Colt hatch if anyone was wondering.... Once I get started, I'll keep you guys posted on how the DSM kit turns out. Since it seems like roll cages are tough to get for these cars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:51 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Depending on weather you are trying to be safe or pass tech depends on what I would suggest doing.

If you just want to pass tech, then do witch ever as it will get you into the track.

If you want to be safe then I would highly suggest that you mount it at spot #2 and then make a second plate welded to the sill were the seatbelt mount is. On my car I then drilled a few holes to roset the plate in for additional strenght. The sill(side) of the car is the strongest point in the car. Spot #1 is just behind a body seam the runs the entire lenght of the car and probably not the better choice for mounting. However either is better then having no cage at all.

If you, or anybody is building a cage. I would suggest a NHRA rule book. They are very expensive and hard to find...... lol

$8.95
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku