4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Grassroots colt setup?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

I was looking around the grassroots website and discovered the westside colt ran a high 10 second pass in a practice run. So naturally i am a little interested in just how the hell over 400hp is possible for under 2008 dollars. I searched and searched and can't find any info on it. Im guessing it has a very crude additional injector style fuel control system, junkyard turbo, ebay clutch? And just how the hell do you get money for a set of slicks too?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:45 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I was looking around the grassroots website and discovered the westside colt ran a high 10 second pass in a practice run. So naturally i am a little interested in just how the hell over 400hp is possible for under 2008 dollars. I searched and searched and can't find any info on it. Im guessing it has a very crude additional injector style fuel control system, junkyard turbo, ebay clutch? And just how the hell do you get money for a set of slicks too?
People donated lots and lots of stuff to get that car going. There aren't any turbos in the junkyard that will get you into the 10's, and eBay clutches are junk. No additional injectors, just lots of race gas probably. I believe the turbo he used was an old-school Frank 2 or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:32 pm 
CSM Junkie

Donated parts!!!! BOOO URNS!! That's like a devout christian finding out that there is no god. I will never google the word grassroots ever again. They are dead to me. I'm gonna sell my colt, too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:47 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Donated parts!!!! BOOO URNS!! That's like a devout christian finding out that there is no god. I will never google the word grassroots ever again. They are dead to me. I'm gonna sell my colt, too.
It's pretty much impossible to do without having things donated. That's how those contests work man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:49 pm 

Honestly I know nothing about the Grassroots setups but that looks sick. What's the deal with them?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:15 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Honestly I know nothing about the Grassroots setups but that looks sick. What's the deal with them?
Grassroots Motorsports is a car magazine, and every year they have a challenge where people build cars for $2,000 including the cost of the car and then they race them and see how well they do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
Some call me a god

Im 99% sure that all those parts came out of 3-4 garages. Its all what they had laying around from past cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am 
Some call me a god

Ah but there are rules regarding "free" parts. I know because I purchased my Colt and my Mustang to take to the Grassroots Challenge but decided to not rush either project. If parts are given to you for your project car then you have to claim them for their current market value. So it is still possible but the parts that were donated were likely old, used, abused and valued at really low prices. There are also shady ways to keep your budget very low by purchasing parts cars and using the parts you want from them then selling the rest and recouping your original purchase value of said parts car. You can also recoup the value you spent on your actual project car by selling parts off of the project car. It is neat but every year people get crazier with recouping and I think those rules detract from the challenge. If you can spend 200X dollars then that should be it, no recouping. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:38 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Shoot, I bet I had about $2008 into my motor and ran tens, it really doesn't take much with the 4g6x to get 400 hp. Now if you include slicks, clutch, etc...my build was just under $4000 total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Shoot, I bet I had about $2008 into my motor and ran tens, it really doesn't take much with the 4g6x to get 400 hp. Now if you include slicks, clutch, etc...my build was just under $4000 total.
Don't suppose you'd be willing to post that old setup, wouldya?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Don't suppose you'd be willing to post that old setup, wouldya?
from what i know a 4g61 with a 1.8 head and a 50 trim and super low compression. also i belive cams. ill let him post up everything