4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: My 92 colt Build
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am starting the build on my colt. I have alot of parts left to buy and maybe with everyones help here I can do it right the first time!
First I have a 92colt 72,000 miles on it. I took out the 1.5 I am swaping in the 4g63 I am first geting it completly rebuild stock. I Need to deside if I want to get the new arp headstuds or get the head o-ringed. I have a sweet turbo set up shearerfab topmount and gt35r. I got the setup from my dad. I am pretty sure I am going with bc280 cams and springs,retainers. I will be runing Dsm link. I do not have a fuel system picked out. I am not sure on what I am going with there any idea anyone??? I am not sure on who to go with on a tranny rebuilt. I am also unsure of what clutch setup as well any ideas .
I would like to try the new Style of tensioner i found it is solid and is set buy a bolt and nut I didn't know of anyone using them so I thought I would ask. I am also going 3g lifters. I am going to keep stock valves and get the head redone at a local shop. So there will be zero head work done. I go ahead and upload some photos so you guys can look at what I got so far.
Those 3 are of the turbo setup the next two are my turbo setup
well thanks for any help u guys can give me
Tyler,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
Some call me a god

I think the turbo is big enough, do you plan on running a hood or a radiator in that thing? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:05 pm 

Both fit in a stock dsm with out mod's to rad or the hood. I mean it's close but I am not sure about the csm. I think it will still clear the rad. I am not worried about the the hood it will clear that for your. The motor is going tmrw. To the shop to get all the work done to it cleaned diped decked and honed. The I will put everything back in it from there. New rings and bearing's all arp hardware. rod bolt's mains ect.

Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:58 am 
The Silent Administrator

I doubt it wil fit in a CSM because the hood is lower, and the engine bay is seriously a bunch shorter than the DSM counterpart. Plus, the 2.0 motors installed where the 1.6T motors were, actually places the motor higher because of the deck height, as I found out when reinstalling my exhaust after a 1.6L to 2.0L swap. Mock it up, and you'll find out in a hurry. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
The happy administrator

If it sits like in the first pic, it's not gonna fit without cutting a hole in your hood. If you've got the money, go with shep's stage 2 and an act 2900 (or if you have even more cash laying around, a twin disc will be the last clutch you'll ever need to buy and they include the flywheel). You'll be using 280's, you should really go with a +1mm stainless valve kit all around to use the extra flow.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:04 pm 

Ok I see what you are saying but I just do not wanna put a bunch of money into a head. I will already have around 600 in it with cams and springs, retainers. I am trying to keep my build under 9grand. Close to that mark. I am hoping to have around 400whp on pump gas. I would like to be able to drive it to the shootout next year. So thats my goal to have it done befor the shootout. I am going to try a stock 92 turbo dsm tranny with a twin disc clutch setup. But I think the stock tranny can hold up fine. Maybe not on high boost with some slicks but I am not planing on doing much track time with it. I might later on deside to do a awd swap with it but I am not sure yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 pm 

I can not mock it up yet. As I do not have the mounts from 89Mirageman. I am just waiting on them to get here. I also do not have a motor that I can put in it. As mine is apart waiting on the rebuild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:42 pm 

I keep looking and I feel like a act 2900 would be about what I need I will only be fwd I think it should be fine. I am going to be saling the act 2100 if anyone needs it. Also Ble solid tensioner has anyone on here heard of that or used it? What kind of fuel system would u guys run? I was thinking twin walbros in tank any good ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:01 pm 

it's funny you should mention the act 2900, I was talking to robert from roadrace engineering the other day about his camber plates for the CSM's (which are no longer avalible), and we got talking about clutches. He said anything over the act 2100 and you will have issues withe the firewall flexing & even cracking over time. anyone else ever here this?

scot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 pm 

hmm no I have not and I know the firewall isnt to strong on are car's the resone I say that is I can push on it and make it flex some. I could weld in some reinforcment around the master cyl. To maybe make sure that I will never have this problem. As from what I read the 2900 has a lighter pedal then the 2600
Thank you
Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am 

I never really thought about the firewall flexing but now would be a good time to weld it up with the engine out. These cars are made of tin foil :P .

Mounts and adapter harness going out today, can't wait to see more progress on this thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:17 pm 

I have looked I am 100% that the mainfold isn't going to work. I have to deside on somthing else. I will still be using the gt35r. I am going to email shearer. Was there anyone on here running a shearer mainfold with a gt35r?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 pm 

Concerning a clutch: If you don't go with a twin disk, I would still stay away from a 2600 or 2900lb PP. They put unnecessary stress on engine bearings, and I would believe that they could damage the firewall on CSMs. My last clutch was from South Bend Clutches and it featured a feramic (ceramic/sintered iron) disk. The pressure plate had a clamping force of around 2300lbs, and it held great. The disk made it a bit quicker to engage than my ACT 2600 with the street disk did, but the South Bend clutch had better grip when it started to get hot compared to the ACT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:03 pm 

how much does a south bend clutch run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 am 

I am going to get my block today. I had him check out the block and the pistons and rods. He also checked my line bore and decked the block. He did it all for $85.00. It was pretty cheap as I have went there a few times. He does great work and hes nice to talk to. Whats even nicer is there is a dyno less then 20 mins from my house. So when I get it done I think I will make a trip to the dyno.