4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Suspension Conversion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:52 am 
CSM Expert

Just an idea I had laying around but the more I think about it the better it sounds. A bunch of us either do or have ran talon struts which work fine besides their right height issue. I know a couple members have even modded front upper streess bars to fit the colt. I was thinking why not finish the conversion why not convert our 2 bolt strut mounts to 3 bolt affair this would mean a talon stress bar would fit without issues we could use Talon Camber/Caster plates from Ground Control and a whole variety or other things. All you need is set of Talon Strut bearing caps and a drill I was thinking get a stress bar mark where the holes should be get out your handy dandy drill and make some new holes. Is there something I'm missing here or is it just that easy??? I've never heard it mentioned before just wondering if it maybe wasn't thought about. Is there some reason this can't be done? The idea got brought on by my friend a few months ago. He welded in new strut towers to his VW do he could run different suspension. I thought about it but I seriously thought about all the advantages tonite and decided to fire this off. Thanks for reading this far..

Tim

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:59 am 

Hey i had thought about this myself and i can not see any reason why it would not work i can get my hands on a few sets of the towers and mounts and i think i might give it a shot here in a few weeks if i do ill be shure to take picks and post how it goes

Later Pat

91 Celica
http://members.sounddomain.com/gage1
http://community.webshots.com/user/miragegt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:00 am 
CSM Junkie

Hmmm, I am going to be doing the talon strut swap soon (as in next week), and have the three bolt top plates. I'll measure these up and see how feasible it is, it would be nice to be able to run a talon strut bar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:17 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
I've never heard it mentioned before just wondering if it maybe wasn't thought about. Is there some reason this can't be done?
Tim
long time ago. someone prolly told nate Pharr that he couldnt put a 4G63 into a Colt.

Someone probably told Dave Buschur that T/E/L's were sh*t.

Dude, YOUR IDEA is one of the BEST ideas I've hear to date.

So long us the upper strut bearing caps have roughly the same dimensions WHERE THE STRUT ASSEMBLY connects, then there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Geoff
Mach V Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:29 am 
Some call me a god

I second that one Geoff

if i were you, i would make a template out of the top of the strut tower of a car, maybe even cut it off , line it up perfectly with the c/m strut tower and then drill, then you know you have the holes rightas you are using the actual strut towers

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

***UPDATE***
Well, I just checked the suspension towers of the talon vs the towers of the summit/colt/mirage. It is not going to happen. Here's why:

the talon upper strut bearing (the three bolt plate) is round....the C/M/S is oval/rectangle shaped. That is not an issue in itself, but the talon bearing is also SMALLER than the C/M/S one. There is no room to drill holes since two of the bolts don't even come close to the C/M/S ones.

Ah well, it can be done, but there is some significant cutting and welding to be done in order for it to work. Not a job for me.

Maybe some adapter plates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:51 pm 
What about galant pieces?

I will look at the galant stuff in the morning and see how it compares

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:05 am 
CSM Expert

there is also the possibility of 4G/5G Mirage strut tower caps.

Broke: do these look better?

There are no camber caster plates from GC for the 4G/5G but still gives us access to strut bars (although then is probably easier to mod a stut bar at that point.)

Jmauld I don't think galant strut bars will fit would they not be too wide? (I might not know what i'm talking about either) Well it sounds like to me there is still only one answer to the problem is using talon strut tower.

Mike@DSS: Are you interested in making an adaptor from a talon sized bearing to the colt shock tower? As you can see this topic has generated a fury of interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:46 am 

Umm.
My C73A (same as a C53A) Lancer has Galant VR4 (same as 1G DSM) front struts in it.
All that was required (apparently, I didn't fit them myself), was 2 more holes to be drilled in the towers, one either side of the big hole that the top mount pokes through, use the std rear mounting hole and the front hole will not be used.
My car does also have Galant hubs so I don't know what issues you may face from than end of things.

Cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:51 am 
CSM Junkie

Those look much more like the Talon strut tops, for sure. After thinking about it, I decided that the amount of work involved for adding the talon stut bar is just too much. I'd like to see a strut bar made for the colt/mirage/summit instead. I have some friends who are great welders so perhaps I can get one made up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:22 am 
CSM Expert

Broke:

There used to be a few being made nothing ever become of them.

Gab used to make one.

I think it was Ben K or one of the other DSM vendors made a couple last year and they never made a second run of them. :(

There are a few designs available I can dig up pics if you like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

Hmmm, I think I would like to see one of those designs. Might make it easier to fab up. Is it possible to find pics still?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:35 pm 
CSM Expert

Broke:

Yup here you are:

Now that I set you up with the pics you have to sell me a bar if you make some :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:33 pm 
Hey that's mine!

Personally, I wouldn't put the "y" section at each end of the bar. It only needs one attachment point. That should also allow people to keep their AC. The bar I have, can not be used on a car with AC.

Somebody email Ben about the bars. I spoke with him earlier. He probably just needs a reminder. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:39 pm 
CSM Expert

Jmauld:

I though I saw Ben K say he wasn't interested in doing them anymore. (Although I could be wrong)

And I think having the Y in the bar would make it a bit stong and cause the car to flex less than just having one mounting point...