4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Building a 4g61t
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:12 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Ok, so I've been looking for a set of NA 4g61 pistons to do a little comparison and have had no luck. It appears no one wants to trade 4g61 na pistons and rods for a set of 4g61t pistons and rods. If you have a healthy set of NA 4g61 pistons and rods and are willing to work out a trade or sell, please PM me.

I am gonna do this since my current motor is finally fried, nothing broke but I did overheat it several time and the rings are toast. This little tank of a motor is only making 60 psi compression across the board and still runs like a raped ape, only thing is that its starting to smoke, has a real hard time starting, and is a bitch to keep idling. I have a clean spare 4g61t that I was gonna go through and wanted to try the NA pistons in. I was gonna use them to see if I really notice much off boost performance and spool time to see if its worth the money to have some high compression forged pistons made in the near future. I will gladly post my results once I get this set up completed.

Also, I'm gonna be completely chaning my intercooling set up. The evo 8 FMIC has done suprisingly well but I want to try something new. I'm gonna go to a true 3" hot pipe setup, ditch the 2g Maf for a GM 3" and use water injection to cool the intake charge. I think these changes combined with a fresh motor should really scare the hell out of anyone thinking they have a chance against my 4g61t.

Any imput would be great, just brainstorming some things and thought I would see what people thought about it.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:21 pm 
Some call me a god

Jason has a full 1.6 N/A sitting on the side of his work. Engine is still intact in the car. It may have had some trauma with the timing belt. Text me and I will relay his number.

My vote is get a set of custom 72mm pistons. Or what ever the 1.6L pistons are. You won't be sorry. Jason has stood by the mitsu pistons for so long. Now he has off the shelf Ross and loves them. I vote Arias.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 pm 

Are you sure Ross makes an off the shelf 4g61t piston??. I had to get mine custom made, granted they are high compression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm 
Some call me a god

Jaysmirage has a 2.0L.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 am 
The Silent Administrator

4G61NA pistons abound like clovers in fields over in AUS and NZ, just simply because it was hard to get the turbo variety. I couldn't speak for their pricing though. Custom pistons would probably be cheaper when you factor in shipping and returnability. This is of course the factory method I assume you were mentioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:33 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Thats exactly what I meant by "factory", the topline or other generic companies that offer replacement 4g61na pistons are notorosly weaker materials and would likely disinigrate with my power output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:59 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Did that marc/mark guy with the Tub car <- no seriously the thread is spelled tub not tube, was getting custom Arias or similar pistons for his force fed beast. There may be some way of incorporating better ringlands, as that is usually the weakest point on 4g61 designs right?

Is it possible to go forged but NA compression?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:59 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Quote:
Did that marc/mark guy with the Tub car <- no seriously the thread is spelled tub not tube, was getting custom Arias or similar pistons for his force fed beast. There may be some way of incorporating better ringlands, as that is usually the weakest point on 4g61 designs right?

I believe he went with Ross custom pistons for his build and they are also oversized, I really want to stay with stock bore size or at maximum .020 larger just to clean up the block.

Absolutely, you can request any compression ratio you want when ordering custom pistons and naturally they will enhance the ring land design to prevent cracking. Problem is the cost, its pretty pricey to get custom pistons made and they also request you send in a factory piston to build from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:05 pm 
Some call me a god

I have had a set of pistons made Bobby. They were no more than their off the shelf counterparts. So cases they might be, but that would come from options with the pistons. A bore size and certain compression ratio did not make a difference for us.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 pm 

Quote:

Please check again. It is spelt t-u-b-e not t-u-b. And I got my pistons from Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:05 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Quote:
Quote:

Please check again. It is spelt t-u-b-e not t-u-b. And I got my pistons from Ross.
Thanks for chiming in Marck, I was pretty sure they were Ross. Also, without having to search the whole thread over again, how much did the pistons run you and what were the specs you went with?