4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:32 am 

My brother and I took the C10 autocrossing today. Did well as we took 1st and 2nd in HS but I was hoping to do better overall. Got 14th index wise out of 84 drivers. Suppose that's not bad considering the top 13 drivers were in fully prepped cars and mine just had tires.

Here's a couple vids:

My brother ended up with a best time of 40.4 seconds. His breaking zones were a little later than mine. Overall we took basically the same line but he went a little wider in some areas than I did.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnqEzknm1M

My final run was also my best. I ended up at 39.5 seconds. I was hoping to get into the 38's but it was not to be. Maybe a downshift coming out of the far end turnaround would have been beneficial but I can't stand downshifting..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIC_kQR7qc8

I helped design the second half of the course. My favorite feature was the Chicago Box leading into the finish. I wanted to make it tighter but we decided to open it up a bit to keep it safer and have less cones hit.

Enjoy your day.
Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:30 am 

cool vids.

I wish i could prepare my car but we have too much money stuffed into the honda.

i have to say i would like it even more if it was an '89 so i could live vicariously.

Bring that beast to nationals
Craig M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:22 am 

Do you still have the original suspension or have you put newer parts on it?

I know there is not much in the way of C10 upgrade suspension, but if it is still original you will be surprised at how much some newer pieces will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:48 am 

Hey Craig. There's a guy locally to me who's selling his "stock" '89 turbo. More horsepower and torque but also about 200 lbs heavier. But I'm gonna stick with my '88. More personality. 8)

Having koni revalve some rear shocks meant for a Hyundai Scoupe. Supposedly bolts right on in. Keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately they can't be made externally adjustable. I'll just have to take 'em out to adjust. Hoping to have those on the car by the start of the summer series.

Trying to figure out if the 8610 race insert from Koni will fit the front shock cartridge. Only thing is, I can't find OEM stock shocks anywhere for measurements. I did grab some front shocks off an '88 Hyundai Excel which looks identical in size to the GR2's on my car. Wonder if Koni inserts would work with KYB GR2 housing?

I've already requested off for Nationals! This will be 3 years in a row for me and in a different car, different class each year. Craig, you gonna be back this year to win it all in STS "again"?

Vteck, I've got KYB gr2's in front and KYB gas-a-justs in rear. They were on the car when I bought it. But as I just mentioned, I'm working on upgrading shocks.

In the future, planning on getting a custom front sway made.

Will be ordering fresh V710's real soon as well.

BTW, here's a pic of our event this past weekend.

Notice how dirty the course was in first heat. See the other two cars already out on course? Staying tight on this turn threw me out a little wide. Every run I got fuel cut coming out of this turn. I was running over half a tank. Guess I better run a full tank?

Enjoy your day,
Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:07 am 

yeah, really it was my co-driver who took it all. I was just rocking back there in 6th spot...of course rewady to pound my way back to a 1-2 finish :)

good luck with the car. 89s rock btw

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:28 am 

So are yall planning on replacing all that undercoating?

I'm hoping to do well in HS at Nationals this year but I bet there are gonna be a lot more Mazda3 drivers this year as well as the huge amount of Mini's.

But if I place midpack, that'll be better than I've done the past two years!

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:13 am 

we bought a new 89 rust free chassis. complete with undercoating :) we'll be swapping everything over from the old car.

yeah a local guy (Mark Mcknight) is the mazda 3 guuy who finished second. he is a great guy and talented driver and it looks like he is on to something. I think a lot of guys will jump on the mazda 3 bandwagon this year.

Good luck with the colt. I will probably see you at the warm up.

get that thing dialed in and get yourself a trophy

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:14 pm 

An autocrossing buddy of mine just moved back to Chicago from Denver this weekend. He is slowly convincing me to drive up in July and go to the Milwaukee tour. Said the surface is very similar to Heartland Park. I may do it. However, Topeka is only half that distance from me! Why not get practice there instead?! In all fairness though, I'd love to get some good HS competitiveness data and I would think that there would be some good HS drivers at the Milwaukee tour? Mark McKnight and company?

See ya,
Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:11 pm 

Vid from this past weekend. I sucked it up. This run was my fastest although with a cone. But the fact that I had a 250+lb passenger in a car with less than 100hp, I suppose it's safe to say I coulda/shoulda gone faster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeO19Z-0v8g

This may possibly be my last event in this car. It may be too early to say that, but I am gonna start codriving with my brother again in DSP, as it appears we're gonna be taking that car to Nationals this year instead of the Mirage.

BTW, Craig, I'm registered for the Milwaukee tour in DS. See ya there?

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 pm 

you will be racing against last years national champ. lots of tought DS competition here. shoudl be fun as hell!

I'll be looking for you...what will you be driving(so i don't have to look on the scca site)

with a ds index we will be running heads up, basically. lets se if you can run with the civic

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:16 am 

I'll be in my friend's grey Lexus IS300. It's setup pretty good but, yeah, Bartek is a machine.

See ya in Milwaukee. I'll be flying up but driving back to Denver with a friend who'll be there in STS.

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:35 am 

It was cool meeting you in mlwaukee. I will look for you at Nationals.
Craig M.