4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Bucking in 1st gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I just got my 1.5 Colt back from the mechanic yesterday after having a new distributor and timing belt installed.Now when I reach 25MPH in 1st gear,the car bucks untill I shift into 2nd.It only happens in 1st gear and never did this prior to the new repairs.I brought it back to the mechanic and he told me it was either a faulty fuel filter(replaced 2 weeks ago) or a faulty fuel pump.I think he's full of shit.Could the timing be off just a bit to do this or could he be right?

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

I agree with you that he is full of it. Could it be that first gear is the only one that you wind out(rev the highest)? My guess is the new distributor. It could be fuel related but why only in first. What was wrong with the old distributor? Sounds like a pain. Greg

Post subject:
Some call me a god

if its a 4 speed 1st is good to 30 or more and 2nd is good to 55-60ish, ur distibutor might have some loose parts in it, the like a reluctor wheel or a cam position sensor..it could also be ur filter, that is IF it does teh same thing under load at the same rpm in all gears. maybe ur injectors could be dirty too. i've also seen the computer do the same thing...could be alot of things.

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Not sure what was wrong with the old distributer but my car started to stall out after driving about 1-2 miles or so and then I'd have to let it sit for 5 minutes and it would start back up and be good to go for another mile and repeat the same thing.I thought it was a fuel pump problem until it went into the shop where they found the problem to be the distributer.

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I had the same prob with my distributer, Until one day the car completly stalled. I was pissed by this time and got out, opened the Hood and looked.. picked a big rock up off the ground and started wacking the distributer... Car ran fine for a week. Problem came back, took the same rock out of my back seat (left it there incase i needed it again :) ) and did the same thing, ran the car for a month like that until I ended up paying 150$ for a used one. Now what really makes me mad is theres one on ebay right now for $8.. Oh well... not runnning on 3 cylinders anymore

Summarize: 1.5l distributers suck

Post subject:
Some call me a god

jsut be glad its not a honduh, theirs go for 400+ reman... plus labor,