4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Distributor questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 am 

So I have a 90 colt and it threw a road a while back and I got a used motor out of a newer vehicle, 93 or 94 I believe. Everything was peachy for a little while except it kept over heating repeatedly but the motor ran. Finally figured out the overheating problem but the head gasket needed replacing. The head from the new motor looked pretty bad from so much overheating so I put the head from the 90 motor on the newer block as the looked pretty much identical.

Now here is the issue. The distributors looked nearly identical from both motors. The only difference I noticed when looking at them on the motor was that the electrical connections pointed down on the 90 motor and up on the 93/94 motor. So right now I have the newer distributor on the older motor (facing the way it did on the newer head as thats the only way is fits in) and I seem to be getting no spark. So my question is with the 90 head do I need a 90 distributor or are they interchangeable? I have since scrapped all the remaining parts from the old motor or I would just try to put the other distributor on. I am trying to narrow down problems and if I need the other distributor I can make a trip to the junk yard and grab one if need be. Also I haven't been able to find any info on how to check the wiring to the distributor to make sure thats good so that would be helpful too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Well, you are in virgin territory here. It's likely doable, because some things stayed the same between generations but the packaging did not.

You have a 4g15 motor now? There may be a difference like a window plate in the distributor needing to be flipped or something along those lines once wiring is lined up, if that can be accomplished with the wiring that was/is there now and how it interfaces the ECM; which is wired differently on likely all pins because the platform changed between 92 (3G) and 93 (4G) CSM's.

If no one has experience with this here (or in an appropriate amount of time), then try the cool cats over at Mirage Performance Forums (MPF). They be like 4G+ guys. wink wink. www.mirageforums.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 am 

Well I figured out why it wasn't getting spark which now leads to a new question. I switched the plugs between the coolant sensor and the 2 wire plug that goes to the distributor lol. So my new question is will running 12v to the coolant sensor screw it up because it is running pretty crapily like its extremely rich.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 am 
The Silent Administrator

Coolant temp sensor is simply a resistor that gets less resistant as coolant temp goes up. NTC type sensor. Can't mess it up, but you could do damage to the sensing mechanism in the ECU if you ran high current where there should not be, I suppose.