4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Recently got car running with a good ecu from member here....Car idles fine but when I take of down the road it will start to sputter and hesitate under a load intermittantly....At WOT it will then fall on it's face completely and want to die. Strange thing is when it does this I can pull it back in driveway and let it idle...idles fine...rev up sputter...wot will barely run at all... turn engine off. Starts right back up and has power in all RPM bands until I back it out of driveway and take off down the road then same crapola... I've changed fuel filter...initally changed fuel pump with a good used one on hand...plugs...set base timing after ecu change.. new mpi relay... have checked spark when it acts up and I dont appear to be losing spark which is making me think fuel. ANY idears???

Ps No CEL have came on

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Think I found the problem. Took return fuel line off and ran it into a jug.... flow rate good when idling...took off down road until started sputtering. .. drove back home...let her idle. Flow rate 0... Revved engine...sputtered and wanted to die...reached under car and smacked fuel tank with tire tool and flow rate was better than when it first started! Then fell off... smacked fuel tank and increased flow again... Time for new fuel pump..That's what I get for trying to be too cheap and put a used pump in lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 pm 

sounds like the pump is going bad... if you drop the tank to replace it.. also unhook the fuel line from THE FRONT near engine and blow thru it (back towards tank) to clear out the line.. it might have junk/crap in it also.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Have you ran any kind of injector cleaner? (Seafoam, lucas, gumout etc) Im at a loss what is wrong, does it smoke or irratically sputter when it loses power?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am 
The Silent Administrator

Fuel pump strainer could be clogging up, and gets worse as more fuel pulls in via the suction of the pump, and some drops off when the vehicle is turned off; ie settled back down.

Pump could be bad yes, but also check the wiring to the top of the tank, and inside once you are there.
Fix it once and never have to drop the tank again.

There is a drain bolt on these import fuel tanks, so that is a saving grace for this type of inspection/replacement.