4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

The car has a 4g15 w f4m21 and the seal has gone bad so it leaks all the gear oil out.

I just bought new CV axles for this tranny and i believe they will work on the f5m21 but will these axles fit any other manual transmission

I want to stay cable because i like the idea of direct mechanical action plus its cable from factory but i have heard its very hard to find these trannys.

I want to swap a 4g63 n/a built around 250 hp and want a transmission ready for it. (2 years or more) then awd one day...

Can I build the 4 speed to take the abuse? Has anyone? Im looking for acceleration in the end not top speed

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 pm 

Im probably going to start removing the transmission tomorrow and take it to a transmission shop. Ill see if they will clean it up and re seal it, it didnt grind or pop out of gear before. Can anyone tell me if i can get just a bearing kit no syncro for f4m21

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:11 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Google it you will get transmission rebuild kits listed all over the place.

Also, you can go to partsbase.org and build your vehicle in the menu system.
Match your transmission properly, and you can get to the gear clusters and order your bearings individually from a bearing supplier, like whoever is stocking or has access to SkF/Koyo/etc, and supply those parts in hand to your rebuilder, or leave all of that to them.

It wil cost a minimum of a couple hundred to take the trans apart and for shimming new bearings to spec preload/clearance (if you show up with it in the back of your other car), and they will have to disassemble the top half of the case, to determine the condition of the internals.

From there, you will be told what will be needed. Technically a known good trans could work out better with new seals for the axles and a new drain plug aluminum gasket.

What kind of money are you aiming to spend?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 am 

Im trying to be cheap and upgrade at the same time, im really only wanting to spend like less than 400 on fixing or around 700 for a good cable 5 speed. Less than a G to get this ole girl movin.

Im hoping the transmission shop could just clean and reseal the 4 speed just so i could get some miles out of it. I didn't want the 4 spd pro rebuilt unless someone can build it indestructible (able to take around 400hp) is it possible?

I have put an ad on classifieds and been looking on Craigslist and calling and searching junkyard inv with no luck. I really don't want another 4 spd bc they are weak and want to upgrade to a 4g63 eventually but my current 4g15 still runs and funds are low so im going to wait a few years if i can and just try to get the tranny issue resolved first

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:03 pm 

if you want a 100% sure thing, then get the 4 speed rebuilt, convert to a 5 speed hydraulic when you do the engine swap.
if you want something that needs a bit of fiddling with the cables, you can grab the 5 speed from a 93-96 CSM 1.5L and put that in. it's still an F5M21, just cable clutch, with extra mounts. check here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29698
it mentions how they had to shim the cables, but at the end of the thread DeXteR mentions that he used the cable bracket thats came on the transmission and it worked fine. these transmissions apparently can also take more abuse than the hydraulic F5M21s from 89-92 cars, so you could keep using it when you swap to the turbo engine.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:55 pm 

Very helpful information i am going to look on Craigslist now

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:28 pm 

Well I have good news and bad news... I went to my local junk yard and they had a 95 Mitsubishi mirage w/ 5 speed. Bad news it's hydraulic.. I forgot if i checked the miles but it looked good and complete.

If i was to go hydro... What would I need from this 95 mirage for a complete swap from f4m21 to f5m22

Misc.. Sorry to go off topic but will the front and rear suspension fit my 91 eagle summit (its got kyb gr2 in front with i think newer springs but not sure and rear looks better than mine. Can I swap the spindles or should i just go expo. Can I use the shift assembly? Can I use the steering wheel tilt column? Should I grab the shift cables as spares?

It's got a 4g93 w/ f5m22 black ext 99% complete any1 need anything

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm 

transmission, clutch line, slave cylinder, master cylinder(not sure if you can use it in your car, grab it just in case), shifter cables, shifter assembly.
after that you'll need a hydro clutch pedal assembly from a 3G(89-92) car.

as for suspension, you'd have to swap the upper strut mounts in the front and the shock mounts in the back, but i don't see why it wouldn't fit. don't know if the shock/strut lengths are the same though, maybe someone can chime in with that?

and you CAN swap the spindles, they'll actually give you stock camber, just need to turn the tie rods in a half turn so they're flipped over, otherwise you end up with -0.5 toe-out. DSM/GVR4 brakes will bolt right up too. still don't know why more people haven't done the swap, you can even press expo front hubs into them to keep 4x114.3.
here's my write-up: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29339

don't know if the steering column will fit, but i'd lean towards no.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 am 

Wow awesome info, once i get my 8 lb hammer im gonna go grab the front shock, brake and spindle combo and probably grab the steelies and ill grab all the rear brake hardware and suspension stuff. Ill get the shift cables and shifter assembly, maybe the master cylinder. The lines were cut on the master cylinder so im not sure if its ok. Idk about this going hydro thing tho i really just want to hold out for a cable tranny.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:39 pm 

Quote:
if you want a 100% sure thing, then get the 4 speed rebuilt, convert to a 5 speed hydraulic when you do the engine swap.
if you want something that needs a bit of fiddling with the cables, you can grab the 5 speed from a 93-96 CSM 1.5L and put that in. it's still an F5M21, just cable clutch, with extra mounts. check here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29698
it mentions how they had to shim the cables, but at the end of the thread DeXteR mentions that he used the cable bracket thats came on the transmission and it worked fine. these transmissions apparently can also take more abuse than the hydraulic F5M21s from 89-92 cars, so you could keep using it when you swap to the turbo engine.

Well i found an eBay junkyard 95 elantra transmission (says it was mated to a 1.6l). If i was to buy it what would I need? It said something about a transmission mount, starter plate, and something about 2 bolts being different. Anything else? What 2 bolts

Will a km303 bolt to a 4g15

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:04 pm 
The happy administrator

Why not go with a F5m33 (1g dsm manual fwd 5spd) and convert to hydro? Then you'll have the trans all ready for the 63t swap. I've seen them go for $50-150.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 am 

My main reason is because I just got cv axles for my f4m21 and don't want to just waste that money. Plus Im not sure about finding a hydro pedal setup for my car. I just like simple, direct mechanical. hydraulic seems nice but my car is cable and I would like to keep it that way. Im probably just going 4g63 bored and sleeved if possible built internal n/a possible methane/nos/hydrogen injection. 300hp (not factoring injection) max on a f5m21, if I go awd then things will change..

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:06 am 

There are plenty of the cable clutch 4g's around here at the junkyard, I can grab one for about $200 + shipping for you. On that 4g at your local yard you could probably get $35-$75 for the tach cluster since they're kinda rare and only came on the 1.8 cars with a manual trans. Your current axles won't work with that 1.8 4g trans either, the inner stubs are longer since its an F5M22.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:41 am 

Quote:
There are plenty of the cable clutch 4g's around here at the junkyard, I can grab one for about $200 + shipping for you. On that 4g at your local yard you could probably get $35-$75 for the tach cluster since they're kinda rare and only came on the 1.8 cars with a manual trans. Your current axles won't work with that 1.8 4g trans either, the inner stubs are longer since its an F5M22.
I will try to get the tach cluster, is it easy to remove? im not sure but I thought the automatic had a tach cluster too (more rare?). There were two 95 mirages one manual one auto. I want the wheels and tires off the auto but it has wheel locks.. Im going to try to vice grip them off but I doubt it will work.

If you can pull me a good f5m21 (low miles that hasn't been open to outside too long) cable clutch with starter plate and all bolts and anything else you can think I will need I would be forever in your debt.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:43 am 

I've never seen a 4g csm with a tach that was auto. Not saying it was never made but even the 1.8 auto cars that I saw didn't have a tach.

I make/pull parts for a living so I'd be happy to do it. Been thinking about tossing my 4g64 into my 4g for a while now so I'll sell you mine. It has 146k on it and shifts perfect. PM me for more details.