4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 am 
CSM Junkie

Hi everyone. This little 1.5l in my 91 Summit is kicking my butt. I got this running a couple days after I bought it. It fires right up and idles great, but when you give it more than 1.3 throttle, it starts to stumble and pop. I noticed that the distributor is clocked completely clockwise, and timing was off by 30 degrees when trying to set the base timing with a timing light. We got the timing set right with t elight, but it ran horrible and had even less power, so we put it back the way it was. I thought the PO might have set the TB off by a tooth, so I checked it and it seemed like it could be. I reset the timing and it ran great for about a week. Last night, I noticed some "detonation" when pushing the throttle from a roll, so I tried to adjust te base timing again (it is still off). This caused the car to run the way it did when I bought it.

I have replaced the following:
Fuel-pump swapped out for a 255lp (didn't trust original as it sat for a year)
AFPR (Installed due to above FP install)
Plugs (properly gapped)
Fuel filter
K&N air filter

Plug wires look good, plus I swapped them with a pair from a friends 2.4 Summit, no change.

I suppose I could change out the plug wires for new ones, but it seems like maybe the distributor could be at issue here? I'd hate to have to drop in a $150 part on this car as I don't intend on it keeping the 1.5 for long. Anyone else out there got any ideas?

Thanks,
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm 

the dist could be off.. if it was mine I would pull the dist out.. set the crank at tdc check the belt to make sure everything is perfectly lined up.. then put the dist back in making sure its in the correct location. this was the same issue I had with my first colt. I replaced the timing belt and the old one was off just 1 tooth..and the dist was off 1 click.. which made for a horrible running car.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
the dist could be off.. if it was mine I would pull the dist out.. set the crank at tdc check the belt to make sure everything is perfectly lined up.. then put the dist back in making sure its in the correct location. this was the same issue I had with my first colt. I replaced the timing belt and the old one was off just 1 tooth..and the dist was off 1 click.. which made for a horrible running car.

Steve
I thought the same thing, but it ran perfect for just over a week?? Except for a little detonation every now and then, it had way more power than it needed to get out of it's own way, not anymore.

I guess I could try that, hate the oil mess it causes though. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Did you connect a ground wire and ground the timing connector when changing the timing?