4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Clutch Issues
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ok, first off, I'm at work right now, car stuck in the parking lot. I get off in about 7 hours SOOO, I want to try to figure this out and fix it before I have to go home...

Here my problem. Driving around town today, I lost all pressure in my clutch pedal. Pushed my car into a spot at Kroger and got to looking. My clutch slave cylinder was leaking fluid. The throw-out bearing in the cylinder got pushed too far out and lodged sideways, holding the clutch wide open. I could shift gears, but when I let off the clutch pedal, no power came to wheels. So I go get a brand new clutch slave cylinder and replace it in Kroger parking lot. Bled out the lines enough and drove to work. As soon I pull into my parking spot at work, lost all clutch pedal pressure. Same symptoms. Look under the car and fluid is leaking from what looks like the throw-out bearing on the slave cylinder again, dust boot was in the way and I was almost late to work, couldn't look any deeper.

What could cause this to happen twice in a row? How can I fix this? Is it just a bad luck on a new slave cylinder or something bigger like actual clutch throw-out bearing not wanting to move? Any ideas at all.

Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 am 

I'm not sure I understand, the piston came out of the slave cylinder and wedged itself to keep the clutch disengaged? That colud be a bent or broken clutch fork, a worn or missing pivot ball, or the little pushrod from the slave to the fork could be bent, too short, or missing. Hope this helps, good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 am 
Some call me a god

If it actually holds the clutch disengaged on it's own, then I would be expecting to find the release bearing (throwout bearing) stuck on the input shaft sleeve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 am 

The piston comes out too far, goes a little crooked, and get stuck on the cylinder opening. So it's holding the clutch open, as if I was holding the clutch pedal down constantly. I've been told by some people that it's because I didn't gravity bleed, I pumped to get the air out. Which I'm skeptical about, but its worth a shot. I'm going back to work early today to pull off the new slave cylinder and going to get a replacement, and try gravity feeding that, and see how long it works for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm 
Some call me a god

Sounds like your master cylinder piston is getting too much travel and you need to adjust the clutch pedal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
Some call me a god

I think he's onto something. Your clutch master cylinder may be adjusted too tightly, and not allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:16 pm 

So I need to adjust my clutch pedal? Or my master cylinder? A new master cylinder for the clutch is only like 40 bucks, could I just go get a new master and slave cylinder and be done with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 pm 
Some call me a god

Whether you get new ones or not is up to you but you'll still need to adjust the clutch master cylinder.

Basically to adjust the master you have to lay on your back under the driver's side dash, there's a rod that goes into the master cylinder and connects to the clutch pedal. It's threaded on the clutch pedal side and there's a jam nut you'll need to loosen. Once that's loosened you turn the rod with a pair of pliers which ever way you need the clutch adjusted. In your case your going to want to thread the rod in more so there is less travel.

I believe there is a how to video on youtube that can help you out more if you need it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:35 pm 

Cool, thanks guys. And I have to get a replacement slave cylinder cause I blew the seal on the piston when it went out too far. So I'm going to go ahead and get a new master as well. I'll let you guys know of the outcome.

Post subject: Re: HELP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:09 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Ok, first off, I'm at work right now, car stuck in the parking lot. I get off in about 7 hours SOOO, I want to try to figure this out and fix it before I have to go home...

Here my problem. Driving around town today, I lost all pressure in my clutch pedal. Pushed my car into a spot at Kroger and got to looking. My clutch slave cylinder was leaking fluid. The throw-out bearing in the cylinder got pushed too far out and lodged sideways, holding the clutch wide open. I could shift gear, but when I let off the clutch pedal, no power came to wheels. So I go get a brand new clutch slave cylinder and replace it in Kroger parking lot. Bled out the lines enough and drove to work. As soon I pull into my parking spot at work, lost all clutch pedal pressure. Same symptoms. Look under the car and fluid is leaking from what looks like the throw-out bearing on the slave cylinder again.

What could cause this to happen twice in a row? How can I fix this? Is it just a bad slave cylinder or something bigger like actual clutch throw-out bearing not wanting to move? Any ideas at all.
For me, the issue was the little rod for the slave cyl. was bent, causing the slave cyl piston to pop out. I had the opposite problem, where the power was always to the wheels, so I couldn't shift without trashing up my tranny. Things that can check is leaks in the line, dirt between the slave cyl and piston, and bad seal. If you got the wrong size piston that can cause it too. Remember if you have a leak in the line check above also, because the fluid will glide down the contours of the clutch line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 pm 

When I bought a new slave cylinder it came with the piston already installed. Just had to pop the pushrod into the dust seal around the piston. But, I'm gonna grab another new one tomorrow and move my pedal and see if I cant get it to work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:15 am 

update?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm 

I returned the new slave cylinder I got and tried another, it's lasted so far. Slightly adjusted my clutch pedal, so it wouldn't push as far, while still being able to engage the clutch. Works fine, but now there's a weird thing going on. I wouldn't say my clutch pedal is sticking, but it's not as quick to rise back up after being pushed, like it takes a second that it didn't used to. So, at times when I shift, I over rev thinking I've caught the gear, but because it was sticky and slow to rise I still hadn't disengaged the clutch and grabbed a gear. I'm trying out a new master cylinder in a few days from rockauto. I'll let you guys know if it helps with the sticky pedal situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 pm 

Have you checked or replaced the rubber line that goes to the slave? Sounds like it may be collapsed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Sounds like tons of install error to me. :-?