4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I'm starting to think about getting the Colt running again. It's been sitting for 9 years now and hasn't been started at all in the last 5 or so. Obviously the mechanical stuff will come first (fuel system being the VERY first thing), but since the car has been sitting in the driveway all this time with only sun protection in the front and back windows the door panels have taken a beating. It's really weird, but if you looked at it you'd swear someone got inside, took a razor blade and sliced up the top edge along the window. The white stuffing inside is blistering out and it just looks terrible.

Can this be repaired by an upholstery shop? It almost looks like the door panels are two- piece and it would just be the upper section that would need re-covering.

Of course, the driver's seat needs help, too, with the separated panels and foam exposed to the frame - but I know THAT can be fixed by the upholsterer.

The other thing is the steering wheel seems to have 'melted' a bit. It's kind of guey all the way around. It's not broken, but I don't know if this can be fixed. Maybe just throw one of those lousy steering wheel covers over it??

Got to get the fuel system back together first thing. I've got a new tank and pump ready to be installed but no "holster" for the pump. The rigid lines going into the head were corroded enough that when I disconnected them they slightly bent on me and now I don't trust them. Also had bought a replacement ECU and installed it to get rid of the multiple unrelated codes that the original unit had started throwing at the very end. The replacement unit got rid of the codes but the car still didn't start and that's when I decided to pull the tank when it appeared there was no fuel present at the fuel filter.