4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:22 pm 
Negative Nancy

Was installing a replacement spindle that Dayo sent me and noticed that there was some wiggle in the lower ball joint and not sure if this going to cause a problem. The joints were tight when I installed them. The clip is still holding them in. Is it possible for it to fall out of the a arm while under load if the clip breaks or comes off? The joint itself is tight, just not the fitament. These are the autozone brand type of ball joint IIRC.

Rich

http://youtu.be/eHUv2rxctQk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Bosco, I would consider the ball joint loose. The joint should be a decently tight fit, or similar to a worn ball joint, everything is going to wear that much faster with that much play.
It is possible that the ball joint you received is too small and a mistake, but for a similarily sized model of car, or it has since worn. IIRC, I had to press out the ball joint even though it had the clip to retain it. Using a large hammer as some say, could contribute to an elongated normally press fit hole for the ball joint base cup.

I suggest grabbing a new part. With a clean arm and a new part ( that should be returnable if still clean ), check another unit from another shop or the same place you got the last one. You may need a new control arm. Check the manuals from www.lilevo.com/mirage/ to confirm the process for removal because if it is supposed to be press fit, you have an issue that was just as big as the spindle that was cracked.

Hey, you sound pretty darn normal in the video. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm 
Negative Nancy

I sound normal huh? Im a fricken weirdo. Dont let young ones near me....HAH!!!!!HAH!!!!

Last edited by bosco2023 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:43 pm 
Owner/Admin

:lmao:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Are you sure that's the right ball joint? I never saw a CSM ball joint that extends downward like that at the bottom. If it's wrong, and you run with it in there it's going to wear/enlongate the hole in your control arm making it garbage. That is if it hasn't already.

They do sell oversize ball joints for some applications, but I don't think they're available for our cars.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:38 am 
Negative Nancy

The lower part is for the grease trap I assume. The ball joints were really tight to press in and had to really crank down on the joint press to get them in the holes. I spread some bearing grease on all surfaces before pressing them in. Im kinda tired of F'ing with these parts. Maybe I will just take my mig welder and tack the ball joint to the control arm. Not laying a heavy bead all the way round, just good tacks on 4 sides.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 am 
Negative Nancy

Ok, went out and removed the retaining circlip and the balljoint fell out and hit the ground. I guess its was a little loose. here are some pics of it close up and with the rubber boot slid down on it. The edge of the bj case had some scores/gouges in the metal i guess from when I installed them. The mounting suface of the a arm is as smooth as can be. I will go to autozone in a lil bit to fetch another.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Commercial friers have grease traps, not ball joints. That looks like the wrong part to me.
It looks like it's for something like a Jeep or 4x4 truck where the ball joint only twists in the socket but doesn't pivot side to side. That would explain how it loosened itself up in the arm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:47 pm 
Negative Nancy

Got a replacement from Autozone and its the same part. Had to press it in as there was a little more friction, but still rocked around in the hole. Going to look around the net to see what others look like Dayo. And will go from there. Heres my reasoning, the lifetime balljoint I have was 14.00 and the are is probably garbage now anyway, so I can weld it and then grind it loose one day when I swap arms and then take the joint back to swap for a new one. I have to get my car back on the road. Its a pain sharing my wifes car and taking her to work everyday.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 pm 
Negative Nancy

Here's a link to a few pics and the beck arnley looks similar. Actually all look similar except where the grease fitting screws into.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/detai ... -3639.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:00 pm 

sounds like the lower control arm is bad then.. cause once pressed in it shouldnt move at all.. even with the clip not on it.
from the video it looks like it was driven alot while the old one was loose..and reamed the hole out some.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 pm 
Negative Nancy

Quote:
sounds like the lower control arm is bad then.. cause once pressed in it shouldnt move at all.. even with the clip not on it.
from the video it looks like it was driven alot while the old one was loose..and reamed the hole out some.

Steve

I agree with the arms hole being too big now. The old joints were a motherfuker to press out. They were def tight. I think I may have damaged the arms while pressing the new ones in.