4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am 

So I just got done reading the other 4 page forum on how his car was having starting problems. Mine is also having the same problems...

The head gasket has been going bad and it was leaking coolent. So I thought I might as well change the head gasket on the car.
It was a long process and I also put a straight edge on the head to find out that it was warped. I took it down to a machine shop to have it resurfaced FLAT replaced the head gasket. Put on a new timing belt. Started up with some effort and ran great! better then before. Did a compression test Cylinder 1 and 3 good compression 2 and 4 are at 65 psi but it was 4am in the morning, head was slightly dirty which could cause bad readings and I kind of dismissed it since the car started up.

Let it sit out in the cold weather and bam.. has a hard time starting. Just about went crazy. It just wants to flood itself. I pull the spark plugs and they are soaked.

Today going to the salvage yard to pull another ECU, MAS, Coolent temp sensor
Going to the parts store for another set of spark plugs and spark plug wires. (if it is flooding, it feels to me like there is not enough spark)

SO my question is that can low compression be messing up the starting? It started just FINE last year. Infact that was a complement that I had was that it started off really quickly. That was before the 4g37 stuff but after the swap it started just fine. I also remember owning a ford Bronco with low compression that started really easy also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 am 

wow posted twice, please excuse one of these threads...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 pm 

Well I have a theory on why it is low pressure on 2 cylinders (and on a 1 and 3). It is not burning oil which would lead to smoke coming out the back.

I am spoiled on hydraulic lifters on the 4g63 motors. These I have to adjust...

Will post results when done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 pm 

I adjusted the valve lash to the recommended .006 in intake and .010 in on the exhaust. It seemed to help a bit. We will find out for sure when I leave it on the street over night.

I have never adjusted valve lash on a mitsu and it could be that I was trying to do this out in the cold but there still seems to be some valve noise. How much noise is there when having solid lifters? Is there more noise when running these engines? It could be that I am over analyzing my work and listening too carefully but I want to make sure I am doing this right.

I am surprised at this motor. There is something mechanical romantic when adjusting valve lash. This has all the qualities of a good motor. Easy to work on, adjust valve lash is straight forward plus no carb, all MPI for fuel efficiency. I love this motor. Too bad it wasn't a bigger motor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

#1 cause of bad start is usually ecu,keep us updated!